Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
April 2004 Monthly Newsletter
Wednesday 04/14/04 8:00PM Board of Directors
Wednesday 04/21/04 8:00PM General Membership
General Membership meetings are for all adult, associate and youth squad members.
Prospective members in the squad are also welcome and encouraged to attend.
These meetings are important for transacting squad business, communicating and
clarifying information and meeting new members. We try and keep the meetings short
and focused and not go over items covered in other communication vehicles.
We ask that you carry out your responsibility as an interested member of the
organization and make every effort to attend these meetings.
Board of Directors Elections for 2004
Four (4) Associate member seats on the Board of Directors remain open. We will try and fill the vacancies at the April membership meeting.
We have received checks for the following grants:
Paperwork for the following grant has been filed with the proper state agency.
- $5,000 NYS Senate legislative grant secured by Senator Frank Padavan
- $3,000 NYC Council grant secured by Councilman David Weprin
- $2,000 NYS Assembly legislative grant secured by Assemblyman Mark Weprin
Cell Phones Replaced
- AMB-4: Recent work has included:
- Brakes serviced
- Doors on right side rear outside compartment have been made operational
NEXTEL phones are replacing the cell phones we have had for a number of years. One NEXTEL will be installed at the dispatch desk.
It will be wired so that a handheld microphone can be used instead of pulling the phone from its cradle. Another NEXTEL is being placed in AMB-4.
It will also have a microphone attached. When needed the phone can be taken from its cradle to accompany the crew wherever they have to go.
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Jeff Balcourt: May, July, September, November
2nd Lt. Marty Grillo: April, June, August, October, December
A database of addresses in our service area is being compiled in order to lessen our reliance on commercial list services.
We presently have over 8,000 addresses input including South Bayside,11364, Holliswood, 11423, Hollis Hills, 11364 & 11427
and Hilltop Village, 11423 & 11427. We may not be able to get to all 54,000 addresses.
The first fund drive mailing for 2004 will be about 13,000 pieces. It is presently being stuffed and labeled by the FEGS group
at the Samuel Field Y and will go to the Post Office during April.
Jamaica Hospital Decon Drill
On Thursday 4/1/04 Jamaica Hospital conducted a training drill of its decontamination capabilities. Hospital workers donned personal
protective equipment including hooded garments and processed simulated patients.
When needed, the decon equipment is set up in an 11 by 18 foot blue tent near the emergency department entrance on 135 Street.
It is claimed that it takes just 3 to 4 minutes to get the tent, complete with hot water and a heater, up and running.
Walking patients enter one of two lanes on the sides of the tent while stretcher patients are brought through a central lane.
The shower is equipped with its own drainage system. Up to 20 patients an hour can be accommodated.
Hospitals are very concerned about not allowing contaminated patients to enter an emergency department where they could cause illness
to medical staff or other patients. Capabilities of hospitals throughout the city to decon patients before they enter varies greatly.
In the Rockaways, Peninsula Hospital has a one person shower that can process six people an hour. St. John.s Hospital has a dual chamber
tent that can handle 50 people an hour.
Special Event Crews Needed
Recently Issued NYS DOH Policy Statements
- LITTLE LEAGUE OPENING DAY PARADES: The ambulances and first response vehicles normally provide safety escorts. Police have been appreciative of our help.
- JAMAICA ESTATES-HOLLISWOOD LL - Saturday 4/17/04 at 9:00 AM. Starts at Union Turnpike & 197 Street and ends at 73 Avenue & Francis Lewis Boulevard.
- MID QUEENS-FRESH MEADOWS LL - Saturday 4/17/04 at 10:00 AM. Starts at Springfield Blvd. & 73 Avenue and ends at 210 Street & 73 Avenue.
- HOLLIS-BELLAIRE-QUEENS VILLAGE-BELLEROSE LL - Saturday 4/17/04 at 11:00 AM. Starts at Hillside Avenue & 217 Street and ends at Hillside Avenue & 235 Street.
- ALLEY POND STRIDERS on Sunday 4/25/04 will have its annual 5K Challenge Run. Last year there were over 250 competitors. We will need a crew from 9:30 to 11:30 AM for the event.
- QUEENS SPECIAL OLYMPICS on Saturday 5/1/04 (raindate Sunday 5/2/04) at St. John's University. Athletes start arriving at 8:00 AM with events from 9:30 AM to about 2:30 PM. Up to 1,000 participants are expected. In past years this event has generated several patients.
- 5 BORO BIKE TOUR on Sunday 5/2/04. 20 to 25 EMTs and paramedics are needed to staff aid stations along the route. Tour organizers will provide medical equipment and supplies but EMTs are welcome to bring own steths, B/P cuffs and tech bag. Parking arrangements will be made for those driving to sites. If interested contact Vincent Barranco, Paramedic Supervisor at Jamaica Hospital (718) 206-8308. Full information on the event is on the internet at www.bikenewyork.com
- HOLLIS HILLS CIVIC ASSOCIATION STREET FAIR on Sunday 5/16/04, noon to 5:00 PM. Location is 82 Avenue from 212 Street to 214 Street. Need crew to do blood pressures and conduct tour of ambulance.
- BIG APPLE CIRCUS will be at Cunningham Park from Friday 5/28/04 through Tuesday 6/8/04. The theme this year is Carnavale. Performance schedule is as follows:
|Friday|| ||05/28/04|| ||11:00AM & 6:30PM|
|Saturday|| ||05/29/04|| ||12:30PM & 4:30PM|
|Sunday|| ||05/30/04|| ||12:30PM & 4:30PM|
|Monday|| ||05/31/04|| ||12:00PM & 4:00PM (Memorial Day)|
|Tuesday|| ||06/01/04|| ||No shows|
|Wednesday|| ||06/02/04|| ||11:00AM & 6:30PM|
|Thursday|| ||06/03/04|| ||11:00AM & 6:30PM|
|Friday|| ||06/04/04|| ||11:00AM & 6:30PM|
|Saturday|| ||06/05/04|| ||12:30PM & 4:30PM|
|Sunday|| ||06/06/04|| ||12:30PM & 4:30PM|
|Monday|| ||06/07/04|| ||11:00AM & 6:30PM|
|Tuesday|| ||06/08/04|| ||11:00AM|
- MEMORIAL DAY PARADE on Northern Blvd. in Little Neck-Douglaston will be held on Monday May 31, 2004. Line up is about noon. Squad has participated for the last several years.
- ST. JOHN's UNIVERSITY ALUMNI REUNION WEEKEND will be held starting on Saturday 6/12/04 starting with breakfast at 8:30 AM and ending with a dinner dance from 8:00 PM to midnight. SJU requested an ambulance standby. In prior years Flushing VAC covered 8:00 AM to 4:15 PM and we took over coverage to midnight.
- QUANTUM FEET ROAD RUNNERS CLUB on Sunday 6/13/04 will hold its 5th Annual 5K Run/Walk & Children's Fun Run to benefit Stepping Stone Day School. 5K Run starts at 9:00 AM and Children's Fun Run at 9:45 AM. Start & finish is at 189 Street & Union Turnpike. EMS coverage is normally coordinated by Emergency Medical REACT.
04-01 issued 02/10/04 RE: SARS ADVISORY: Provides guidance to EMS agencies to prepare for responses to patients with an infectious respiratory illness suspected of being SARS. Sections cover:
04-02 issued 2/26/04 RE: MAINTENANCE OF IVS BY EMTS. A former opinion issued by DOH in 9/91 is rescinded. Basic EMTs cannot transport a patient with an IV line in place - the line must be removed or a secured saline lock put in place with no fluids or medication attached to the port. If a patient must be transported with an IV line the hospital or nursing home must supply an advanced EMT or properly licensed health care provider or arrange for ALS transport.
- SARS Background
- Preparedness Planning for the Re-emergence of SARS and what to do under the following circumstances:
- No SARS Identified Worldwide
- SARS Re-emerges in the World Without Local Transmission
- SARS Re-emerges in the World With Local Transmission
Costco Selling Defibrillators
Costco, one of the nation's largest warehouse stores with over 400 outlets worldwide has started selling defibrillators. The Medtronic LIFEPAK® CR Plus Fully Automatic AED is available at a price of $2,699.00.
The company's web site indicates "the Complete CPR/AED Solution takes care of everything for you. In addition to the LIFEPAK CR Plus defibrillator and defibrillator kit, you also receive the following services for one year:
For additional information go to Costco's web site at www.costco.com and do a product search on "defibrillator".
The CVS Pharmacy chain has been selling Phillips' HeartStart Home Defibrillator as a prescription item for some time.
So far, competitor Wal-Mart is only selling books on defibrillation and AEDs.
- Physician prescription and oversight
- State and local registration
- AED and CPR training (for 5 people, family members or employees)
- Customer support hot line 24 x 7, 365 days a year
- AED & CPR skills refresher training CD
- Administrative/Clinical hotline
- Supply replenishment
- Post-event services and support"
Ambulance Accidents In Service Area
During March there were at least two (2) accidents involving ambulances in our service area. One occurred Monday 3/15/04 about 7:30 PM at the Grand Central Parkway and Parsons Boulevard involving a 911 system ambulance. On Tuesday 3/16/04 at the start of the rush hour an American Medical Response (AMR) ambulance was involved in an intersection collision at Jamaica Avenue and the Van Wyck Expressway.
News About NYC Emergency Service Providers
- CENTRAL PARK MEDICAL UNIT was honored by NYC Parks & Recreation Commissioner Adrian Benepe at a luncheon on 3/18/04 at the Arsenal building in Central Park.
- GLENDALE VAC will be hosting a Day at Shea Stadium on Sunday May 23, 2004 which is CAP DAY. The price per ticket is $36.00 which includes food, drinks, snacks, giveaways and there will also be raffles. Come meet the players and enjoy the day. Glendale has reserved the picnic area along with the Kiwanis Club of Glendale. For ticket information please email GVACPRESIDENT@AOL.COM or call (718) 386-9651.
- NYC SEARCH & RESCUE and a subgroup QUEENS NORTH EMS surfaced in a Daily News story on 3/22/04 titled Freelance Ambulance Company Fills A Need. The Regional EMS Council of NYC sent a request to the group requesting clarification of the operation and subsequently met with the head of the group. Information available indicates group membership is about 17 individuals and they have a 1998 Ford Expedition equipped with search and rescue and first responder equipment. They have been operating mostly in the Astoria area of Queens. To operate a new ambulance service the group would have to go through a Certificate of Need (CON) process. The Regional Council also has an application process to operate a recognized BLS First Responder group. For more information on NYC SAR go to the web site at www.nycsearchandrescue.org
- WEST HAMILTON BEACH VFD/VAC will be having their annual golf outing on Friday 4/23/04 at the Forest Park Golf Course. This is followed by an Awards Dinner at the Roma View in Howard Beach. $125.00 for golf & dinner or $40 for dinner only. For more information call Carol Scheper at (718) 843-1716 or go to the web site at www.whbfd.org
- MOCK EMS TRAIL presented by Emergency Services Insurance Program (ESIP)
Saturday April 17, 2004 at 10:00 AM at Flushing Hospital Auditorium, 45-00 Parsons Boulevard. Lunch will be served.
- ExCEL-Critical Intervention Response Team Individual Crisis and Peer Support Training sponsored by the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC.
Enrollment is restricted to EMS providers who work/volunteer in NYC! Register immediately! Limited space available! The cost for this course ($200) is being waived for EMS Providers who work/volunteer in NYC. A Registration fee of $25 will be refunded to students who:
- Acquire skills that promote mental & emotional fitness.
- Be part of the response/recovery team for critical incidents and disasters.
- Join ExCEL - the Critical Incident Response Team for EMS providers of New York City.
Dates & Times:
- Complete the course, and
- Join ExCEL - the Critical Incident Response Team for EMS providers of NYC
Sunday, April 18th, 9AM - 4:30PM
(This is a 2-day course, Sunday, April 25th, 9AM - 4:30PM. Both days must be attended)
Jamaica Hospital - Main building, 6th Floor, Auditorium 1
8900 Van Wyck Expressway, Jamaica, NY 11418
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the
Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org.
Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
Mark Your Calendars
- Center for Emergency Care Training, (516) 785-6500, is offering:
CFR BASIC, 6/20/04 through 8/19/04, Sundays, 9:00AM to 4:00PM at Methodist Hospital in Brooklyn.
- NORTH BELLMORE VFD BUFF SHOW AND FLEA MARKET will be held Saturday 4/24/04, 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM at the Newbridge Road School in North Bellmore. Location is 1/2 mile south of exit 25 on the Southern State Parkway. EMS, fire & police displays plus antique fire apparatus. Free admission & free parking. For more info call (516) 781-3086.
- HUDSON VALLEY REMSCO'S 2004 Inside EMS Conference will be held at the Holiday Inn in Fishkill, NY (at Routes 9 & 84) on May 14th and 15th, 2004. Event features speakers, seminars and exhibits. For more information call (845) 567-6740 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2004 EMS WEEK VOLUNTEER RECOGNITION DINNER sponsored by NYSVA&RA’s Districts 4 & 18, Tuesday 5/18/04 at Russo’s On-The-Bay, Howard Beach, NY. For information contact Martin Grillo at (718) 474-0680 or e-mail email@example.com
- FIRE EXPO 2004, Friday May 21 to Sunday May 23, 2004 at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex, Harrisburg, PA. Admission $7.00. 350 vendors and over 225 emergency vehicles are expected to be displayed. This is one of the largest Fire-EMS-Rescue shows in the country.
- PULSE CHECK 2004, the 49th Annual Educational Conference & Trade Show of the NYS Volunteer Ambulance & Rescue Association will be held Thursday 9/30/04 to Sunday 10/3/04 at the Roaring Brook Resort & Conference Center, Lake George, NY. Event features seminars, exhibits, awards dinner and the country's only statewide EMT and CFR team skills competition. For information call (877) NYSVARA, (518) 883-4192 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- NEW JERSEY STATE FIRST AID COUNCIL 2004 CONVENTION, Thursday, October 14, 2004 through Sunday, October 17, 2004 at the Nevele Grande Resort & Country Club, Ellenville, NY. For information check the web site at www.njsfac.org
- VITAL SIGNS CONFERENCE 2004, Friday 10/29/04 to Sunday 10/31/04 at the Buffalo Convention Center, Buffalo, NY. Sponsored by the NYS DOH Bureau of EMS. Includes general sessions, workshops, exhibits and awards banquet. For information contact Donna Gerard at (518) 402-0996 extension 3 or check the web site at www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/vitalsigns.htm