Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
June 2004 Monthly Newsletter
Wednesday 06/09/04 7:30PM Squad Officers
Wednesday 06/09/04 8:15PM Board of Directors
Thursday 06/10/04 8:00PM District 4 at Brookdale Hospital, All invited - Refreshments served
Wednesday 06/16/04 8:00PM General Membership
General Membership meetings are for all adult, associate and youth squad members.
Prospective members in the squad are also welcome and encouraged to attend.
These meetings are important for transacting squad business, communicating and
clarifying information and meeting new members. We try and keep the meetings short
and focused and not go over items covered in other communication vehicles.
We ask that you carry out your responsibility as an interested member of the
organization and make every effort to attend these meetings.
Board of Directors Elections for 2004
Four (4) Associate member seats on the Board of Directors remain open. We will try and fill the vacancies at the June membership meeting.
Paperwork for the following grant has been filed with the proper state agency. We are currently awaiting the grant check.
- $2,000 NYS Assembly legislative grant secured by Assemblyman Mark Weprin
Duty Officer Rotations
- AMB-4: Unit was taken out of service Tuesday 6/8 for work on the driver’s side door, the gas pedal, and other items related to the suspension.
1st Lt. Jeff Balcourt: July, September, November
2nd Lt. Marty Grillo: June, August, October, December
The first fund drive mailing for 2004 was about 13,000 pieces and went out in mid May. It was stuffed and labeled by the FEGS group at the Samuel Field Y on Little Neck Parkway. Results so far are:
|05/17/04||35 ||$ 615|
|05/18/04||28 ||$ 848|
|05/24/04||27 ||$ 948|
Special Events Covered
Special Event Crews Needed
- HOLLIS HILLS CIVIC ASSOCIATION STREET FAIR was held on Sunday 5/16/04 from noon to 5:00 PM at 82 Avenue from 212 Street to 214 Street. AMB-4 and 5 and crew did pressures and conducted tours of ambulance.
- BIG APPLE CIRCUS was at Cunningham Park from Friday 5/28/04 through Tuesday 6/8/04. All 21 performances were covered!
- MEMORIAL DAY PARADE on Northern Blvd. in Little Neck-Douglaston was held on Monday May 31, 2004. AMB-5 was in the parade.
Jamaica's Dangerous Intersections
- ST. JOHN's UNIVERSITY ALUMNI REUNION WEEKEND will be held on Saturday 6/12/04 starting with breakfast at 8:30 AM and ending with a dinner dance from 8:00 PM to midnight. SJU requested an ambulance standby. In prior years Flushing VAC covered 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM and we took over coverage to midnight.
- QUANTUM FEET ROAD RUNNERS CLUB on Sunday 6/13/04 will hold its 5th Annual 5K Run/Walk & Children's Fun Run to benefit Stepping Stone Day School. 5K Run starts at 9:00 AM and Children's Fun Run at 9:45 AM. Start & finish is at 189 Street & Union Turnpike. EMS coverage is normally coordinated by Emergency Medical REACT.
- WINDSOR PARK COOP STREET FAIR will be held on Sunday 6/13/04 on 75 Avenue between Bell Boulevard and 210th Street. We have been requested to send an ambulance and crew for standby and to do blood pressures, conduct tours of the ambulance and to give out literature.
- LEWIS HOWARD LATIMER LINDSAY CHALK MEMORIAL BIKE TOUR will be held on Saturday morning 6/19/04 along Vanderbilt Motor Parkway in Alley Pond and Cunningham parks and city streets. Flushing VAC and Glen Oaks VAC also participate in coverage of the event which lasts about 2 hours.
- TOYS-R-US in Jamaica Avenue will hold a MOMS’ EXPO on Saturday 6/26/04 from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM. They have asked the squad to set up a table and give out information on the squad’s services.
- JAMAICA ARTS & MUSIC SUMMER FESTIVAL street fair will be held on Saturday 8/7/04 on Jamaica Avenue between Parsons Blvd. and 168 Street. On Friday evening 8/6/04 there will be a jazz concert in King Manor Park south of Mary Immaculate Hospital.
The 103rd Precinct has released a list of the most accident prone intersections in its service area of Jamaica, South Jamaica and Hollis. The top three are:
The first two intersections have mass transit stops and some incidents may have been on the subway or Long Island Rail Road rather than on the street.
- Parsons Boulevard & Archer Avenue
- Sutphin Boulevard & Archer Avenue
- Jamaica Avenue & Sutphin Boulevard
News About NYC Emergency Service Providers
- On Saturday May 29, 2004, a St. John’s Hospital ambulance struck the concrete and brick underpass of the LIE at Queens Blvd and Woodhaven Blvd head
on while responding to a call. Both EMT’s survived the very serious crash with only minor injuries.
Drivers are reminded to exercise extreme caution when responding code-3 to calls, especially when entering intersections
(even if the light is green in their direction). Drivers are reminded of the standard of “due regard” when entering intersections where the traffic
control signals are RED in their direction.
- BETH ISRAEL’s SINGER DIVISION (Hospital #04) on East End Avenue in upper Manhattan will close by 8/1/04.
The hospital provides general emergency services to the community as well as some specialized services within the Beth Israel system.
Plans are to market building to residential developers.
DEPARTMENT ISSUES FIRST EVER STRATEGIC PLAN
On March 29, 2004 the FDNY issued its first ever strategic plan covering 2004 and 2005. In it the department seeks to identify and publish its goals and priorities for this year any beyond. Six key areas are identified:
Of interest to the volunteer sector are two objectives:
- Improve emergency response operations
- Enhance health and safety of FDNY members
- Strengthen management and organizational development
- Increase diversity
- Improve fire prevention and fire safety education
- Advance technology
- 1.3 Enhance the Department’s mutual-aid program. By June 30, 2004 the departments hopes to finalize the NY Statewide EMS Mobilization Plan as well as interstate agreements. Also by that date it hopes to finalize the legal and operational details of local mutual-aid agreements addressing such issues as notification, deployment, roles, responsibilities and resource allocation.
- 6.4 Implement a second EMS Citywide channel. The purpose of the channel would be to support EMS deployment in the event of a large scale incident. July 15, 2004 is given as the operational date goal for this objective.
The complete Strategic Plan is on-line at http://nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/pr/2004/strategic_plan/index.shtml
- FOREST HILLS VAC held a blood drive at its headquarters on Monday 5/17/04 from 4:00 to 9:30PM.
- GLEN OAKS VAC on Sunday July 18, 2004 will dedicate its new headquarters. The ceremony will begin at 2:00PM.
- FDNY Quarterly CME on Palliative Care Dealing with Death and Dying presented by senior staff from Calvary Hospital.
Open to all EMS personnel.
Thursday June 10, 2004, 6:00 to 10 PM
Fort Totten, Building 405
Refreshments will be served.
- The Nature of Suffering and Its Treatment
- Introduction to Palliative Care
- Pain Management & Major Symptom Complexes
- Spiritual Pain and Bereavement
RSVP requested to Paramedic Manuel Delgado at (718) 999-2790 or e-mail email@example.com
- BURN MANAGEMENT Seminar will be held on Wednesday 6/23/04 at North Shore Hospital-Manhasset’s Rust Auditorium.
Starts at 7:30PM. Dinner and free parking provided. RSVP by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the
Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org.
Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
Mark Your Calendars
- Center for Emergency Care Training, (516) 785-6500, is offering:
CFR-D BASIC, 6/20/04 through 8/19/04, Sundays, 9:00AM to 4:00PM at Methodist Hospital in Brooklyn. Cost: $500.00
- Regional Training Center For EMTs Inc., (718) 464-4698 is offering:
EMT courses are funded for active members of NYS Volunteer Services. All classes are at 1200 Douglaston Pkwy, Douglaston, NY.
This is Cathedral College’s Immaculate Conception Center located north of the Grand Central Parkway at the Cross Island Parkway.
- EMT BASIC starting 7/15/04, Tue & Thur 7:00 to 10:00 PM. Cost: $700.00
- EMT REFRESH starting 7/15/04, Tue & Thur 7:00 to 10:00 PM. Cost: $500.00
- CFR-D BASIC starting 7/15/04, Tues & Thur 7:00 to 10:00 PM. Cost: $500.00
- PULSE CHECK 2004, the 49th Annual Educational Conference & Trade Show of the NYS Volunteer Ambulance & Rescue Association will be held Thursday 9/30/04 to Sunday 10/3/04 at the Roaring Brook Resort & Conference Center, Lake George, NY. Event features seminars, exhibits, awards dinner and the country's only statewide EMT and CFR team skills competition. For information call (877) NYSVARA, (518) 883-4192 or e-mail email@example.com
- NEW JERSEY STATE FIRST AID COUNCIL 2004 CONVENTION, Thursday, October 14, 2004 through Sunday, October 17, 2004 at the Nevele Grande Resort & Country Club, Ellenville, NY. For information check the web site at www.njsfac.org
- VITAL SIGNS CONFERENCE 2004, Friday 10/29/04 to Sunday 10/31/04 at the Buffalo Convention Center, Buffalo, NY. Sponsored by the NYS DOH Bureau of EMS. Includes general sessions, workshops, exhibits and awards banquet. For information contact Donna Gerard at (518) 402-0996 extension 3 or check the web site at www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/vitalsigns.htm