Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
February 2005 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish
1st Lieutenant: Martin Grillo
2nd Lieutenant: Ron Freed
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Steve Guttman
Personnel Officer: JP Vasquez
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
General Membership meetings are for all adult, associate and youth squad members. Prospective members in the squad are also welcome and encouraged to attend. These meetings are important for transacting squad business, communicating and clarifying information and meeting new members. We try and keep the meetings short and focused and not go over items covered in other communication vehicles. We ask that you carry out your responsibility as an interested member of the organization and make every effort to attend these meetings.
- Wednesday 02/09/05 7:30PM Officers
- Wednesday 02/09/05 8:15PM Board of Directors
- Thursday 02/10/05 8:00PM District 4 @ Jamaica Hospital
- Wednesday 02/16/05 8:00PM General Membership
- Wednesday 02/23/05 8:00PM CME on Weapons of Mass Destruction
Nominations and elections for 2005 vacant Squad Officers and Director positions were held at the January General membership meeting.
Elected to the Board of Directors were:
Associate Member: Joe Kuceluk
The position of Financial Secretary as well as five (5) Associate member seats on the Board of Directors remain open. We will try and fill the vacancies at the February membership meeting.
Duty Officer Rotations
Captain Daryl Mazlish: March, May, July, September & November
1st Lt. Martin Grillo: February, April, June, August, October & December
Preliminary planning work on the 2005 General Mailing has started. It is expected to go into the mail in early April with a second mailing in mid September.
JAM-4: Fully operational.
JAM-6: Fully operational.
The West Queens Volunteer Ambulance Association sponsored QA/QI group, of which the squad is a member, will have its next meeting at Forest Hills VAC starting at 8:00 PM on Tuesday 3/1/05. The squad is required to have a quality assessment / improvement program that involves a doctor and some non-member participants and participating in the West Queens group satisfies this requirement.
Regional EMS Council Of NYC
Liz Donnelly, EMT-P who was the ALS and REMAC coordinator has left the organization as of the first week in January. She took a position with Cardiac Science Corp. involving the NYC Department of Educationís AED in schools project.
News About NYC Emergency Service Providers
- BENSONHURST VAC is listed in the Fiscal Year 2005 NYC Financial Plan as receiving $3,000 in NYC Council legislative grant funds to be administered by the FDNY.
- BROAD CHANNEL VFD/VACís newest apparatus is a 1981 Pirsch/Hendrickson 100 foot rear mount aerial ladder truck. The vehicle was formerly Parsippany-Troy Hills VFDís Truck 653. The new vehicle joins Broad Channelís two pumpers, two ambulances and a marine unit.
- CORONA VAC is having a benefit concert. Jazz for Peace is performing on Thursday evening 2/17/05 at Europa, 49-12 Queens Boulevard, Woodside. Tickets are $30.00. For more information call (212) 947-1104 or go to the web site at www.jazzforpeace.com
- HATZALAH Ė FLATBUSHís newest ambulance, a 2005 Ford E-350/Braun Type III was on display at the recent Nassau Coliseum show in a pre-delivery state with no markings.
- MARY IMMACULATE paramedic ambulance was involved in a serious collision on Friday 2/4/05 at the intersection of 164 Street and the westbound Grand Central parkway service road. The vehicle sustained major damage to the front and passenger side of the cab.
- WEST HAMILTON BEACH VFD/VAC is listed in the Fiscal Year 2005 NYC Financial Plan as receiving $8,000 in NYC Council legislative grant funds to be administered by the FDNY.
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the
Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org.
Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
Mark Your Calendars
- DEFENSIVE DRIVING COURSES AT FDNY ACADEMY: Save 10% on your car insurance. Remove up to 4 points off of your license. For dates & to reserve a seat call: 718 352-3009. Presented by certified NTSI EVOC Instructors. One 6 hour class held at the EMS Academy Ft. Totten. Cost is $26.00 for FDNY members and $35.00 for non-members.
- West Queens EMT Institute, (718) 464-4194 is offering:
Funded (tuition free) seats are available for bona-fide members of volunteer services with NYS DOH Form 3312 Verification of Membership in a NYS EMS Agency signed by a squad officer. For others, the tuition is: EMT BASIC COURSE: $750.00 EMT REFRESHER COURSE: $350.00.
- EMT REFRESHER 2/26/05 to 5/19/05, Saturdays, 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM at Forest Hills VAC. The first four (4) classes are mandatory for all participants. Other classes will be required for those whose written and/or practical exam scores are below the required standard. CIC: Thomas Dematas.
- EMT BASIC 8/14/05 to 12/15/05, Tuesdays 7:00 to 10:00 PM and Sundays 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM at Woodhaven-Richmond Hill VAC. CIC: Martin Grillo.
- FIREMEN's ASSOCIATION OF THE STATE OF NY (FASNY) 23nd ANNUAL EMS SEMINAR, Saturday 3/5/05 & Sunday 3/6/05 at the NYS Fire Academy, Montour Falls, NY. Registration is $30.00. Lodging and meals at the Academy is $80.00 for two nights. For more information call FASNY at (800) 2FASNY2 or go to the web site at www.fasny.com.
- SPRING MELT FIRE & EMS FLEA MARKET Sunday 4/10/05, 9;00 AM to 4:00 PM at the Allentown Fairgrounds, in Allentown, PA. Admission is $6.00. This is a great show for memorabilia, t-shirts and used fire and EMS equipment such as lightbars, sirens, helmets, etc.
- HUDSON VALLEY REMSCOíS 2005 Inside EMS Conference & Awards Banquet will be held at the Holiday Inn in Fishkill, NY (at Routes 9 & 84) on Friday May 13 and Saturday May 14, 2005. Event features speakers, seminars and exhibits. For more information call (845) 567-6740 or e-mail email@example.com
- 2005 EMS WEEK in NEW YORK CITY
- REMSCO RECOGNITION AND AWARDS CEREMONY on Sunday May 15, 2005 at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum. Free and reduced admission during the day and reception in the evening.
- VOLUNTEER RECOGNITION DINNER, Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at Russoís On-The-Bay, Howard Beach, Queens, NY. For information contact Martin Grillo at (718) 474-0680 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- FIRE EXPO 2005, Friday May 20 to Sunday May 22, 2005 at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex, Harrisburg, PA. Admission $7.00. 350 vendors and over 225 emergency vehicles are expected to be displayed. This is one of the largest Fire-EMS-Rescue shows in the country with annual attendance running over 22,000. For more info go to the web site at http://www.lcfa.com/EXPO
- LI-NYC EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE, Wednesday 6/1 & Thursday 6/2/05 at the Long Island Hilton. Sponsored by the NYS Emergency Management Office (SEMO). For information go to the web site at www.linycemconference.com
- RICHMOND ENGINE COMPANY #1, one of two VFDs on Staten Island, is celebrating 100 years of service. On Saturday, 6/4/04 from noon to 5:00 PM the street in front of the firehouse at 3664 Richmond Avenue will be closed and there will be free food and beverages, DJ entertainment and more. For additional information call (718) 351-0252 or go to the web site at www.richmondengine.org
- FIRE 2005 (Fire Industry, Rescue, & EMS) Expo & 99th Annual Conference, June 9-11, 2005 at the Empire Expo Center in Syracuse, NY. Sponsored by the NYS Association of Fire Chiefs. Exhibits, product demonstrations, fire and EMS workshops and hands-on training. For more information call (800) 676-FIRE or go to the web site at www.nysfirechiefs.com
- FIREMENS ASSOCIATION OF THE STATE OF NY (FASNY) annual convention will be held Friday 8/19 to Sunday 8/21/05 at the Huntington Hilton in Melville, Long Island. Event includes seminars and exhibits.
- PULSE CHECK 2005, the 50th Annual Educational Conference & Trade Show of the NYS Volunteer Ambulance & Rescue Association will be held Thursday 9/22/05 to Sunday 9/25/05 at the Hudson Valley Resort, Kerhonkson, Ulster County, NY - only 90 minutes from NYC. Event features seminars, exhibits, awards dinner and the country's only statewide EMT and CFR team skills competition. For information call (877) NYSVARA or e-mail email@example.com
- VITAL SIGNS CONFERENCE 2005, Friday, October 14, 2005 to Sunday, October 16, 2005 in Rochester, NY. Sponsored by the NYS DOH Bureau of EMS. Includes general sessions, workshops, exhibits and awards banquet. For information contact Donna Gerard at (518) 402-0996 extension 3 or check the web site at www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/vitalsigns.htm