Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
March 2005 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish
1st Lieutenant: Martin Grillo
2nd Lieutenant: Ron Freed
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Steve Guttman
Personnel Officer: JP Vasquez
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
General Membership meetings are for all adult, associate and youth squad members. Prospective members in the squad are also welcome and encouraged to attend. These meetings are important for transacting squad business, communicating and clarifying information and meeting new members. We try and keep the meetings short and focused and not go over items covered in other communication vehicles. We ask that you carry out your responsibility as an interested member of the organization and make every effort to attend these meetings.
- Wednesday 03/16/05 8:00PM General Membership
- Wednesday 03/23/05 8:00PM CME on Incident Management and Triage
Emergency Vehicle Operators Course (EVOC)
We have the final dates for the EVOC class:
You must attend all 3 classes to get credit for the class. Benefit for the squad is lower insurance premiums. There is NO CHARGE for this class but there are only 20 slots available. Please let Captain Mazlish know your availability.
Tuesday & Thursday evening classes will be held at JEVAC HQ. We will try to find a local parking lot we can use for the outdoor training on April 10.
- Tuesday April 5 - 7:00 to 9:30 PM - 2.5 hour class
- Thursday April 7 - 7:00 to 9:30 PM - 2.5 hour class
- Sunday April 10 - TBD - Outside workshop and field work
The position of Financial Secretary as well as five (5) Associate member seats on the Board of Directors remain open. We will try and fill the vacancies at the February membership meeting.
Duty Officer Rotations
Captain Daryl Mazlish: March, May, July, September & November
1st Lt. Martin Grillo: April, June, August, October & December
Preliminary planning work on the 2005 General Mailing has started. It is expected to go into the mail in early April with a second mailing in mid September.
JAM-4: Fully operational at this time. Water pump was replaced on 3/2/05.
JAM-6: Fully operational.
Special Event Crews Needed
Youth Squad Activities
- LITTLE LEAGUE OPENING DAY PARADES: The ambulances and first response vehicles normally provide safety escorts and traffic control. Police have been appreciative of our help.
- JAMAICA ESTATES-HOLLISWOOD LL – Saturday 4/09/05 at 8:30 AM. Starts at Union Turnpike & 197 Street and ends at 73 Avenue & Francis Lewis Boulevard.
- MID QUEENS-FRESH MEADOWS LL - Saturday 4/09/05 at 10:00 AM. Starts at Springfield Blvd. & 73 Avenue and ends at 210 Street & 73 Avenue
- HOLLIS-BELLAIRE-QUEENS VILLAGE-BELLEROSE LL - Saturday 4/16/05 at 11:00 AM. Starts at Hillside Avenue & 217 Street and ends at Hillside Avenue & 235 Street.
- ALLEY POND STRIDERS on Sunday 4/17/05 will have its annual 5K Challenge Run. Last year there were over 250 competitors. We will need a crew from 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM for the event.
- 5 BORO BIKE TOUR on Sunday 5/1/05. 20 to 25 EMTs and paramedics are needed to staff aid stations along the route. Tour organizers will provide medical equipment and supplies but EMTs are welcome to bring own stethoscopes, B/P cuffs and tech bag. Parking arrangements will be made for those driving to sites. If interested contact Vincent Barranco, Paramedic Supervisor at Jamaica Hospital (718) 206-8308. Full information on the event is on the internet at http://www.bikenewyork.com.
- QUEENS SPECIAL OLYMPICS on Saturday 5/7/04 at St. John's University. Athletes start arriving at 8:00 AM with events from 9:30 AM to about 2:30 PM. Up to 1,000 participants are expected. In past years this event has generated several patients.
- BIG APPLE CIRCUS will be at Cunningham Park from Saturday 5/15/05 through Monday 5/30/05. The theme this year is Picturesque. 28 performances are scheduled:
|Saturday||05/14/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Sunday||05/15/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Tuesday||05/17/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Wednesday||05/18/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Thursday||05/19/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Friday||05/20/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Saturday||05/21/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Sunday||05/22/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Thursday||05/26/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Friday||05/27/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Saturday||05/28/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Sunday||05/29/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Monday||05/30/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM - Memorial Day|
- MEMORIAL DAY PARADE on Northern Blvd. in Little Neck-Douglaston will be held on Monday, May 30, 2005. Line up is about noon. Squad has participated for the last several years.
- ST. JOHN's UNIVERSITY ALUMNI REUNION WEEKEND will be held starting on Saturday 6/11/05 starting with breakfast at 8:30 AM and ending with a dinner dance from 8:00 PM to midnight. SJU requested an ambulance standby. In prior years Flushing VAC covered 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM and we took over coverage from 4:00 PM to midnight.
- QUANTUM FEET ROAD RUNNERS CLUB on Sunday 6/12/05 will hold its 6th Annual 5K Run/Walk & Children's Fun Run to benefit Stepping Stone Day School. 5K Run starts at 9:00 AM and Children's Fun Run at 9:45 AM. Start & finish is at 189 Street & Union Turnpike. EMS coverage is normally coordinated by Emergency Medical REACT.
Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYSVARAyouth, the new chat group for Youth Squad members and advisors. All are welcome to join.
To register for any of the above events or for more information contact:
Elan Weiner at (917) 601-7593 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday, April 2, 2005 Youth Squad Challenge Drill
Glen Oaks Volunteer Ambulance Corps, 257-02 Union Turnpike, Glen Oaks, NY
- Sunday, April 3, 2005 Red Cross Responding to Emergencies course is to start
Glen Oaks Volunteer Ambulance Corps, 257-02 Union Turnpike, Glen Oaks, NY
- Saturday, July 16 or Sunday, July 17, 2005 Trip to NYS Museum in Albany
Free or low cost transportation may be provided
Exhibit curator will give a presentation to Youth Squad members
- Date to be determined - Pancake breakfast
News About NYC Emergency Service Providers
- KINGSBROOK JEWISH HOSPITAL located in the East Flatbush section of Central Brooklyn has reportedly notified FDNY that it will be ending its contract with TransCare to operate 911 ambulances and will be contracting with American Medical Response to operate its 911 ambulances.
- LOCAL 2507, UNIFORMED EMTs & PARAMEDICS UNION has filed an appeal with the NYS EMS Council of NYC REMAC’s decision to allow FDNY to operate ALS First Response Units staffed by one medic and one EMT. The union is asking SEMAC “to block the proposal until the City can demonstrate both the need and the benefit to the public in making such drastic and potentially hazardous changes to the EMS system”.
- PARKWAY HOSPITAL in Forest Hills, Queens has notified FDNY that it will be ending its contract with TransCare and will cease operating ambulances in the 911 system effective April 30. FDNY will use its own units to cover the area but it is not known if this will be the long-term solution. An option would be for North Shore-LIJ system ambulances to expand coverage from their base at nearby North Shore Hospital-Forest Hills.
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the
Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org.
Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
Mark Your Calendars
- DEFENSIVE DRIVING COURSES AT FDNY ACADEMY: Save 10% on your car insurance. Remove up to 4 points off of your license. For dates & to reserve a seat call: 718 352-3009. Presented by certified NTSI EVOC Instructors. One 6 hour class held at the EMS Academy Ft. Totten. Cost is $26.00 for FDNY members and $35.00 for non-members.
- West Queens EMT Institute, (718) 464-4194 is offering:
Funded (tuition free) seats are available for bona-fide members of volunteer services with NYS DOH Form 3312 Verification of Membership in a NYS EMS Agency signed by a squad officer. For others, the tuition is $750.00.
- EMT BASIC 8/14/05 to 12/15/05, Tuesdays 7:00 to 10:00 PM and Sundays 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM at Woodhaven-Richmond Hill VAC. CIC: Martin Grillo.
- FIREMEN's ASSOCIATION OF THE STATE OF NY (FASNY) 23nd ANNUAL EMS SEMINAR, Saturday 3/5/05 & Sunday 3/6/05 at the NYS Fire Academy, Montour Falls, NY. Registration is $30.00. Lodging and meals at the Academy is $80.00 for two nights. For more information call FASNY at (800) 2FASNY2 or go to the web site at www.fasny.com.
- JEMS EMS TODAY 2005 Conference and Exposition in Philadelphia, PA, March 18-22. Details are available on the JEMS website http://www.emstodayconference.com
- SPRING MELT FIRE & EMS FLEA MARKET Sunday 4/10/05, 9;00 AM to 4:00 PM at the Allentown Fairgrounds, in Allentown, PA. Admission is $6.00. This is a great show for memorabilia, t-shirts and used fire and EMS equipment such as lightbars, sirens, helmets, etc.
- HUDSON VALLEY REMSCO’S 2005 Inside EMS Conference & Awards Banquet will be held at the Holiday Inn in Fishkill, NY (at Routes 9 & 84) on Friday May 13 and Saturday May 14, 2005. Event features speakers, seminars and exhibits. For more information call (845) 567-6740 or e-mail email@example.com
- 2005 EMS WEEK in NEW YORK CITY
- REMSCO RECOGNITION AND AWARDS CEREMONY on Sunday May 15, 2005 at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum. Free and reduced admission during the day and reception in the evening.
- VOLUNTEER RECOGNITION DINNER, Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at Russo’s On-The-Bay, Howard Beach, Queens, NY. For information contact Martin Grillo at (718) 474-0680 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- FIRE EXPO 2005, Friday May 20 to Sunday May 22, 2005 at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex, Harrisburg, PA. Admission $7.00. 350 vendors and over 225 emergency vehicles are expected to be displayed. This is one of the largest Fire-EMS-Rescue shows in the country with annual attendance running over 22,000. For more info go to the web site at http://www.lcfa.com/EXPO
- LI-NYC EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE, Wednesday 6/1 & Thursday 6/2/05 at the Long Island Hilton. Sponsored by the NYS Emergency Management Office (SEMO). For information go to the web site at http://www.linycemconference.com
- RICHMOND ENGINE COMPANY #1, one of two VFDs on Staten Island, is celebrating 100 years of service. On Saturday, 6/4/04 from noon to 5:00 PM the street in front of the firehouse at 3664 Richmond Avenue will be closed and there will be free food and beverages, DJ entertainment and more. For additional information call (718) 351-0252 or go to the web site at www.richmondengine.org
- FIRE 2005 (Fire Industry, Rescue, & EMS) Expo & 99th Annual Conference, June 9-11, 2005 at the Empire Expo Center in Syracuse, NY. Sponsored by the NYS Association of Fire Chiefs. Exhibits, product demonstrations, fire and EMS workshops and hands-on training. For more information call (800) 676-FIRE or go to the web site at www.nysfirechiefs.com
- FIREMENS ASSOCIATION OF THE STATE OF NY (FASNY) annual convention will be held Friday 8/19 to Sunday 8/21/05 at the Huntington Hilton in Melville, Long Island. Event includes seminars and exhibits.
- PULSE CHECK 2005, the 50th Annual Educational Conference & Trade Show of the NYS Volunteer Ambulance & Rescue Association will be held Thursday 9/22/05 to Sunday 9/25/05 at the Hudson Valley Resort, Kerhonkson, Ulster County, NY - only 90 minutes from NYC. Event features seminars, exhibits, awards dinner and the country's only statewide EMT and CFR team skills competition. For information call (877) NYSVARA or e-mail email@example.com
- VITAL SIGNS CONFERENCE 2005, Friday, October 14, 2005 to Sunday, October 16, 2005 in Rochester, NY. Sponsored by the NYS DOH Bureau of EMS. Includes general sessions, workshops, exhibits and awards banquet. For information contact Donna Gerard at (518) 402-0996 extension 3 or check the NYS DOH web site at www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/vitalsigns.htm