Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
April 2005 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish
1st Lieutenant: Martin Grillo
2nd Lieutenant: Ron Freed
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Steve Guttman
Personnel Officer: JP Vasquez
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
General Membership meetings are for all adult, associate and youth squad members. Prospective members in the squad are also welcome and encouraged to attend. These meetings are important for transacting squad business, communicating and clarifying information and meeting new members. We try and keep the meetings short and focused and not go over items covered in other communication vehicles. We ask that you carry out your responsibility as an interested member of the organization and make every effort to attend these meetings.
- Wednesday 04/13/05 7:30PM Officers Meeting
- Wednesday 04/13/05 8:15PM Board of Directors
- Thursday 04/14/05 8:00PM District 4 @ Jamaica Hospital
- Wednesday 04/20/05 8:00PM General Membership
The position of Financial Secretary as well as five (5) Associate member seats on the Board of Directors remain open. We will try and fill the vacancies at the April membership meeting.
Emergency Vehicle Operators Course (EVOC)
Course started with class on Tuesday evening April 5 and will continue on Thursday evening April 7. On Sunday morning April 10 there will be an outside workshop and field work in an ambulance. Benefit for the squad is lower insurance premiums.
Duty Officer Rotations
Captain Daryl Mazlish: May, July, September & November
1st Lt. Martin Grillo: April, June, August, October & December
Preliminary planning work on the 2005 General Mailing has started. It is expected to go into the mail in early April with a second mailing in mid September.
JAM-4: Fully operational.
JAM-6: Fully operational.
2005 Assistance To Firefighters [and EMS] Grant Application
On 4/6/05 the squad submitted a comprehensive grant request that would provide for annual physicals and needed immunizations for active members, update the defibrillators, update and expand the radio communications capabilities and provide for new Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as new helmets and turnout jackets for the ambulances.
Not all of the $42,000 requested may be approved, and true to the Federal government, regardless of what they approve, they will only pay 80% of the cost. But that is a start. We should know the results of this application in July.
Special Event Crews Needed
NYS DOH’S New York City Office Has Moved
- LITTLE LEAGUE OPENING DAY PARADES: The ambulances and first response vehicles normally provide safety escorts and traffic control. Police have been appreciative of our help.
- JAMAICA ESTATES-HOLLISWOOD LL – Saturday 4/09/05 at 8:30 AM. Starts at Union Turnpike & 197 Street and ends at 73 Avenue & Francis Lewis Boulevard.
- MID QUEENS-FRESH MEADOWS LL - Saturday 4/09/05 at 10:00 AM. Starts at Springfield Blvd. & 73 Avenue and ends at 210 Street & 73 Avenue
- HOLLIS-BELLAIRE-QUEENS VILLAGE-BELLEROSE LL - Saturday 4/16/05 at 11:00 AM. Starts at Hillside Avenue & 217 Street and ends at Hillside Avenue & 235 Street.
- ALLEY POND STRIDERS on Sunday 4/17/05 will have its annual 5K Challenge Run. Last year there were over 250 competitors. We will need a crew from 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM for the event.
- NYPD 111th Precinct PAL Softball League on Saturday April 30 and Sunday May 1 from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM is having their annual BBQ and softball tournament. They have requested EMS coverage for their event.
- 5 BORO BIKE TOUR on Sunday 5/1/05. 20 to 25 EMTs and paramedics are needed to staff aid stations along the route. Tour organizers will provide medical equipment and supplies but EMTs are welcome to bring own stethoscopes, B/P cuffs and tech bag. Parking arrangements will be made for those driving to sites. If interested contact Vincent Barranco, Paramedic Supervisor at Jamaica Hospital (718) 206-8308. Full information on the event is on the internet at http://www.bikenewyork.com.
- QUEENS SPECIAL OLYMPICS on Saturday 5/7/04 at St. John's University. Athletes start arriving at 8:00 AM with events from 9:30 AM to about 2:30 PM. Up to 1,000 participants are expected. In past years this event has generated several patients.
- BIG APPLE CIRCUS will be at Cunningham Park from Saturday 5/15/05 through Monday 5/30/05. The theme this year is Picturesque. 28 performances are scheduled:
|Saturday||05/14/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Sunday||05/15/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Tuesday||05/17/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Wednesday||05/18/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Thursday||05/19/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Friday||05/20/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Saturday||05/21/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Sunday||05/22/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Thursday||05/26/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Friday||05/27/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Saturday||05/28/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Sunday||05/29/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Monday||05/30/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM - Memorial Day|
- MEMORIAL DAY PARADE on Northern Blvd. in Little Neck-Douglaston will be held on Monday, May 30, 2005. Line up is about noon. Squad has participated for the last several years.
- ST. JOHN's UNIVERSITY ALUMNI REUNION WEEKEND will be held starting on Saturday 6/11/05 starting with breakfast at 8:30 AM and ending with a dinner dance from 8:00 PM to midnight. SJU requested an ambulance standby. In prior years Flushing VAC covered 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM and we took over coverage from 4:00 PM to midnight.
- QUANTUM FEET ROAD RUNNERS CLUB on Sunday 6/12/05 will hold its 6th Annual 5K Run/Walk & Children's Fun Run to benefit Stepping Stone Day School. 5K Run starts at 9:00 AM and Children's Fun Run at 9:45 AM. Start & finish is at 189 Street & Union Turnpike. EMS coverage is normally coordinated by Emergency Medical REACT.
The new address is:
New York State Department of Health
Bureau of Emergency Medical Services
90 Church Street, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10007
Telephone: (212) 417-4455 and Fax: (212) 417-5964
Responses To Social Security Building In Jamaica
Note to all drivers: Any responses to the Social Security building in downtown Jamaica should be to the main entrance on Parsons Boulevard. Although the official address is 155-10 Jamaica Avenue, that entrance has stairs that presents an obstacle to a stair or stretcher. The entrance on Parson’s is direct to the lobby and the elevators. Security personnel at the entrance desk will also escort emergency personnel to anywhere in the building that the patient is located.
Youth Squad Activities
Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYSVARAyouth, the new chat group for Youth Squad members and advisors. All are welcome to join.
To register for any of the above events or for more information contact:
Elan Weiner at (917) 601-7593 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trip to NYS Museum in Albany
Saturday, July 16 or Sunday, July 17, 2005
Free or low cost transportation may be provided
Exhibit curator will give a presentation to Youth Squad members
- Pancake Breakfast
Date to be determined
News About NYC Emergency Service Providers
- BEDFORD-STUYVESANY VAC’s President Jim “Rocky” Robinson is recovering from a December kidney transplant operation. The kidney was donated by his adopted son. Rocky is currently working in getting the squad in better financial shape. Only one of four ambulances is in service due to lack of funds for repairs and insurance.
- 5th annual EMT/Paramedic Competition will be held on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 starting at 8:00 AM in the plaza area in front of FDNY headquarters at 9 MetroTech Center in Brooklyn. Teams consisting of 3 paramedics or 3 EMTs compete against other teams in both written and hand-on patient care scenarios. The willing ALS and BLS teams will go on to compete in an International Competition in Orlando, FL in July.
- EMS Station 38 on the campus of Kings County Hospital in the Wingate community of Brooklyn was officially opened on Tuesday 4/5/05 at a ribbon cutting ceremony attended by Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta. The newly constructed $4.2 million state-of-the-art 6,100 square foot station will serve as the base for six units covering the communities of Crown Heights, Prospect Heights, Lefferts Gardens and Wingate. Funding was provided by the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation (HHC).
- JACOBI MEDICAL CENTER in the Bronx opened its new Acute Care Pavilion on Monday, March 31st. The $173 million 9 story building has a 344 bed inpatient tower and a new Emergency Department that is twice as large as the one it replaces. The new emergency 36,000 square foot department has separate adult and pediatric emergency departments, each with dedicated reception, triage, waiting and treatment rooms. The Children's Emergency Service is the only Level I Pediatric Trauma Center in the Bronx. Treatment areas include 60 adult exam rooms and 13 pediatric exam rooms, dedicated asthma treatment rooms, coronary observation stations and cast rooms. There are three adult and two pediatric trauma bays to care for the most critically ill patients. A dedicated imaging area in the emergency department includes the most sophisticated imaging equipment currently available, including two high-speed CT Scan machines.
- NORTH SHORE AMBULANCE is changing the look of its new Type II van ambulances. Across the top of the sides is the lettering NSA EMS. Lower down appears NORTH SHORE with AMBULANCE EMS just below. Along the bottom of the sides is a red, white & blue US flag design. The cab doors sport a 60 YEARS OF SERVICE logo.
- SALVATION ARMY’S NYC EMERGENCY DISASTER SERVICES office participated in the TOPOFF 3 terrorist exercise in early April assisting the New Jersey Division’s relief and disaster workers in the Paterson area.
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the
Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org.
Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
Mark Your Calendars
- West Queens EMT Institute, (718) 464-4194 is offering:
- National Registry EMT Basic Exam, Tuesday, 6/21/05, 7:00 PM at Glen Oaks VAC. Cost $40.00. Must have completed EMT Basic or Refresher course in last 24 months and Skills Test in last 12 months. To get exam application package e-mail WQEMTI@aol.com or call (347) 739-6947. Registration deadline is 6/1/05.
- EMT BASIC 8/14/05 to 12/15/05, Tuesdays 7:00 to 10:00 PM and Sundays 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM at Woodhaven-Richmond Hill VAC. CIC: Martin Grillo. Funded (tuition free) seats are available for bona-fide members of volunteer services with NYS DOH Form 3312 Verification of Membership in a NYS EMS Agency signed by a squad officer. For others, the tuition is $750.00.
- SPRING MELT FIRE & EMS FLEA MARKET Sunday 4/10/05, 9;00 AM to 4:00 PM at the Allentown Fairgrounds, in Allentown, PA. Admission is $6.00. This is a great show for memorabilia, t-shirts and used fire and EMS equipment such as lightbars, sirens, helmets, etc.
- WEST HAMILTON BEACH VFD/VFD golf outing and BBQ, Saturday 4/16/05 at Riss Park, Rockaway. $50.00 per golfer includes BBQ. $25.00 for BBQ only. Sponsorships are available. For additional information contact Carol Scheper at (718) 843-1716.
- HUDSON VALLEY REMSCO’S 2005 Inside EMS Conference & Awards Banquet will be held at the Holiday Inn in Fishkill, NY (at Routes 9 & 84) on Friday May 13 and Saturday May 14, 2005. Event features speakers, seminars and exhibits. For more information call (845) 567-6740 or e-mail email@example.com
- 2005 EMS WEEK in NEW YORK CITY
- REMSCO RECOGNITION AND AWARDS CEREMONY on Sunday May 15, 2005 at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum. Free and reduced admission during the day and reception in the evening.
- VOLUNTEER RECOGNITION DINNER, Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at Russo’s On-The-Bay, Howard Beach, Queens, NY. For information contact Martin Grillo at (718) 474-0680 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- FIRE EXPO 2005, Friday May 20 to Sunday May 22, 2005 at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex, Harrisburg, PA. Admission $7.00. 350 vendors and over 225 emergency vehicles are expected to be displayed. This is one of the largest Fire-EMS-Rescue shows in the country with annual attendance running over 22,000. For more info go to the web site at http://www.lcfa.com/EXPO
- LI-NYC EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE, Wednesday 6/1 & Thursday 6/2/05 at the Long Island Hilton. Sponsored by the NYS Emergency Management Office (SEMO). For information go to the web site at http://www.linycemconference.com
- RICHMOND ENGINE COMPANY #1, one of two VFDs on Staten Island, is celebrating 100 years of service. On Saturday, 6/4/04 from noon to 5:00 PM the street in front of the firehouse at 3664 Richmond Avenue will be closed and there will be free food and beverages, DJ entertainment and more. For additional information call (718) 351-0252 or go to the web site at www.richmondengine.org
- FIRE 2005 (Fire Industry, Rescue, & EMS) Expo & 99th Annual Conference, June 9-11, 2005 at the Empire Expo Center in Syracuse, NY. Sponsored by the NYS Association of Fire Chiefs. Exhibits, product demonstrations, fire and EMS workshops and hands-on training. For more information call (800) 676-FIRE or go to the web site at www.nysfirechiefs.com
- FIREMENS ASSOCIATION OF THE STATE OF NY (FASNY) annual convention will be held Friday 8/19 to Sunday 8/21/05 at the Huntington Hilton in Melville, Long Island. Event includes seminars and exhibits.
- PULSE CHECK 2005, the 50th Annual Educational Conference & Trade Show of the NYS Volunteer Ambulance & Rescue Association will be held Thursday 9/22/05 to Sunday 9/25/05 at the Hudson Valley Resort, Kerhonkson, Ulster County, NY - only 90 minutes from NYC. Event features seminars, exhibits, awards dinner and the country's only statewide EMT and CFR team skills competition. For information call (877) NYSVARA or e-mail email@example.com
- VITAL SIGNS CONFERENCE 2005, Friday, October 14, 2005 to Sunday, October 16, 2005 in Rochester, NY. Sponsored by the NYS DOH Bureau of EMS. Includes general sessions, workshops, exhibits and awards banquet. For information contact Donna Gerard at (518) 402-0996 extension 3 or check the NYS DOH web site at www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/vitalsigns.htm