Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
May 2005 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish
1st Lieutenant: Martin Grillo
2nd Lieutenant: Ron Freed
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Steve Guttman
Personnel Officer: JP Vasquez
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
The position of Financial Secretary as well as five (5) Associate member seats on the Board of Directors remain open. We will try and fill the vacancies at the June membership meeting.
Duty Officer Rotations
Captain Daryl Mazlish: May, July, September & November
1st Lt. Martin Grillo: June, August, October & December
15,000 envelopes and letters were picked up from the printer and delivered to the FEGS group at the Samuel Field Y for stuffing and labeling. Mailing is expected to go to the post office by the end of the month.
JAM-4: Fully operational.
JAM-6: Fully operational.
Special Events Covered
Special Event Crews Needed
- LITTLE LEAGUE OPENING DAY PARADES: The ambulances and first response vehicles provided safety escorts and traffic control. Police have been appreciative of our help.
- JAMAICA ESTATES-HOLLISWOOD LL Saturday 4/09/05
- MID QUEENS-FRESH MEADOWS LL Saturday 4/9/05
- HOLLIS-BELLAIRE-QUEENS VILLAGE-BELLEROSE LL Saturday 4/16/05
- ALLEY POND STRIDERS on Sunday 4/17/05 had its annual 5K Challenge Run. There were over 250 competitors. We had a crew on duty from 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM for the event.
- NYPD 111th Precinct PAL Softball League on Saturday April 30 and Sunday May 1 from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM is having their annual BBQ and softball tournament. Emergency Medical REACT assisted in the coverage.
- Queens Special Olympics was cancelled due to the expected inclement weather.
Youth Squad Activities
- BIG APPLE CIRCUS will be at Cunningham Park from Saturday 5/15/05 through Monday 5/30/05. The theme this year is Picturesque. 28 performances are scheduled:
|Saturday||05/14/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Sunday||05/15/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Tuesday||05/17/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Wednesday||05/18/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Thursday||05/19/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Friday||05/20/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Saturday||05/21/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Sunday||05/22/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Thursday||05/26/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Friday||05/27/05||11:00 AM & 6:30 PM|
|Saturday||05/28/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Sunday||05/29/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM|
|Monday||05/30/05||12:30 PM & 4:30 PM - Memorial Day|
- MEMORIAL DAY PARADE on Northern Blvd. in Little Neck-Douglaston will be held on Monday, May 30, 2005. Line up is about noon. Squad has participated for the last several years.
- ST. JOHN's UNIVERSITY ALUMNI REUNION WEEKEND will be held starting on Saturday 6/11/05 starting with breakfast at 8:30 AM and ending with a dinner dance from 8:00 PM to midnight. SJU requested an ambulance standby. In prior years Flushing VAC covered 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM and we took over coverage from 4:00 PM to midnight.
- QUANTUM FEET ROAD RUNNERS CLUB on Sunday 6/12/05 will hold its 6th Annual 5K Run/Walk & Children's Fun Run to benefit Stepping Stone Day School. 5K Run starts at 9:00 AM and Children's Fun Run at 9:45 AM. Start & finish is at 189 Street & Union Turnpike. EMS coverage is normally coordinated by Emergency Medical REACT.
Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYSVARAyouth, the new chat group for Youth Squad members and advisors. All are welcome to join.
To register for any of the above events or for more information contact:
- Trip to NYS Museum in Albany
Saturday, July 16 or Sunday, July 17, 2005
Free or low cost transportation may be provided
Exhibit curator will give a presentation to Youth Squad members
Elan Weiner at (917) 601-7593 or e-mail email@example.com
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the
Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org.
Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
- Regional Training Center For EMTs, (917) 709-8318 is offering:
EMT & CFR, Basic & Refresher courses starting July 14th, 2005.
Tuesdays & Thursdays, 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM at Cathedral College, Immaculate Conception Center, 7200 Douglaston Pkwy, Queens.
All courses are funded for eligible participants. Costs are:
EMT Basic = $800, EMT Refresher = $500, CFR-D Basic = $500 and CFR Refresher = $300.
- West Queens EMT Institute, (718) 464-4194 is offering:
- National Registry EMT Basic Exam, Tuesday, 6/21/05, 7:00 PM at Glen Oaks VAC. Cost $40.00. Must have completed EMT Basic or Refresher course in last 24 months and Skills Test in last 12 months. To get exam application package e-mail WQEMTI@aol.com or call (347) 739-6947. Registration deadline is 6/1/05.
- EMT BASIC 8/14/05 to 12/15/05, Tuesdays 7:00 to 10:00 PM and Sundays 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM at Woodhaven-Richmond Hill VAC. CIC: Martin Grillo. Funded (tuition free) seats are available for bona-fide members of volunteer services with NYS DOH Form 3312 Verification of Membership in a NYS EMS Agency signed by a squad officer. For others, the tuition is $750.00.
- Stroke – Rapid Response and Education
A special presentation by
FDNY EMS Operations & Office of Medical Affairs
National Stroke Association
Emilio Oribe, MD, Director of Neurology, NYH - Queens
Bradley Kaufman, MD, Medical Director, FDNY Division 4
Tuesday, May 10, 2005, 6:00 to 10:00 PM
NYH – Queens, Lang Auditorium, 56-45 Main Street, Flushing, NY
Mark Your Calendars
- FDNY’s 5th annual EMT/Paramedic Competition will be held on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 starting at 8:00 AM in the plaza area in front of FDNY headquarters at 9 MetroTech Center in Brooklyn. Teams consisting of 3 paramedics or 3 EMTs compete against other teams in both written and hand-on patient care scenarios. The willing ALS and BLS teams will go on to compete in an International Competition in Orlando, FL in July.
- FIRE EXPO 2005, Friday May 20 to Sunday May 22, 2005 at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex, Harrisburg, PA. Admission $7.00. 350 vendors and over 225 emergency vehicles are expected to be displayed. This is one of the largest Fire-EMS-Rescue shows in the country with annual attendance running over 22,000. For more info go to the web site at http://www.lcfa.com/EXPO
- LI-NYC EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE, Wednesday 6/1 & Thursday 6/2/05 at the Long Island Hilton. Sponsored by the NYS Emergency Management Office (SEMO). For information go to the web site at www.linycemconference.com
- RICHMOND ENGINE COMPANY #1, one of two VFDs on Staten Island, is celebrating 100 years of service. On Saturday, 6/4/05 from noon to 5:00 PM the street in front of the firehouse at 3664 Richmond Avenue will be closed and there will be free food and beverages, DJ entertainment and more. For additional information call (718) 351-0252 or go to the web site at www.richmondengine.org
- HAMFESTs on Sundays 6/5/05 & 10/2/05, 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM sponsored by Hall of Science Amateur Radio Club. Location is outdoors at Hall of Science Building off of 108 Street & 47 Avenue in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park. Admission $5.00.
- FIRE 2005 (Fire Industry, Rescue, & EMS) Expo & 99th Annual Conference, June 9-11, 2005 at the Empire Expo Center in Syracuse, NY. Sponsored by the NYS Association of Fire Chiefs. Exhibits, product demonstrations, fire and EMS workshops and hands-on training. For more information call (800) 676-FIRE or go to the web site at www.nysfirechiefs.com
- FIREMENS ASSOCIATION OF THE STATE OF NY (FASNY) annual convention will be held Friday 8/19 to Sunday 8/21/05 at the Huntington Hilton in Melville, Long Island. Event includes seminars and exhibits.
- PULSE CHECK 2005, the 50th Annual Educational Conference & Trade Show of the NYS Volunteer Ambulance & Rescue Association will be held Thursday 9/22/05 to Sunday 9/25/05 at the Hudson Valley Resort, Kerhonkson, Ulster County, NY - only 90 minutes from NYC. Event features seminars, exhibits, awards dinner and the country's only statewide EMT and CFR team skills competition. For information call (877) NYSVARA or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- VITAL SIGNS CONFERENCE 2005, Friday, October 14, 2005 to Sunday, October 16, 2005 in Rochester, NY. Sponsored by the NYS DOH Bureau of EMS. Includes general sessions, workshops, exhibits and awards banquet. For information contact Donna Gerard at (518) 402-0996 extension 3 or check the NYS DOH web site at www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/vitalsigns.htm