Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
June 2005 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish
1st Lieutenant: Martin Grillo
2nd Lieutenant: Ron Freed
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Steve Guttman
Personnel Officer: JP Vasquez
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
General Membership meetings are for all adult, associate and youth squad members. Prospective members in the squad are also welcome and encouraged to attend. These meetings are important for transacting squad business, communicating and clarifying information and meeting new members. We try and keep the meetings short and focused and not go over items covered in other communication vehicles. We ask that you carry out your responsibility as an interested member of the organization and make every effort to attend these meetings.
- Wednesday 06/15/05 8:00PM General Membership Dinner will be served
The position of Financial Secretary as well as four (4) Associate Member seats on the Board of Directors remain open. We will try and fill the vacancies at the July membership meeting.
Duty Officer Rotations
Captain Daryl Mazlish: July, September & November
1st Lt. Martin Grillo: June, August, October & December
15,000 envelopes were stuffed and labeled by the FEGS group at the Samuel Field Y. Mailing went to the Post Office on Friday 6/17/05.
JAM-4: Fully operational.
JAM-6: Fully operational.
CPR For Professional Rescuer Class 6/29 & 6/30
Those requiring a CPR class, or just want to work on your skills, we are having an American red Cross CPR Professional Rescuer class on Wednesday 6/29 and Thursday 6/30 from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM. The class requires 6 hours of training, but for CPR refreshers, it should not take that long. Please notify Captain Daryl Mazlish at (917) 596-9534 or info@JEVAC.org if you are interested. The course is FREE to JEHSB VAC members and associates. Dinner will be provided both nights.
Special Events Covered
Special Event Crews Needed
- BIG APPLE CIRCUS was at Cunningham Park from Saturday 5/15/05 through Monday 5/30/05. 23 of 28 performances were covered by the squad with a couple being done by Flushing VAC. There were at least two people transported and several other were provided first aid. The squad has received a $500 donation from the circus.
- ST. JOHN's UNIVERSITY ALUMNI REUNION WEEKEND was held on Saturday 6/11/04 starting with breakfast at 8:30 AM and ending with a dinner dance from 8:00 PM to past midnight. Flushing Community VAC covered 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM and we took over coverage to 1:00 AM.
- QUANTUM FEET ROAD RUNNERS CLUB on Sunday 6/12/04 held its 6th Annual 5K Run/Walk & Children's Fun Run to benefit Stepping Stone Day School. 5K Run started at 9:00 AM and Children's Fun Run at 9:45 AM. Start & finish was at 189 Street & Union Turnpike. EMS coverage was coordinated by Emergency Medical REACT.
Youth Squad Activities
- ST. JOHNíS UNIVERSITY Concert on the Lawn will be held on Wednesday evening 8/3/05 from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM. Squad has covered this event in the past.
Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYSVARAyouth, the new chat group for Youth Squad members and advisors. All are welcome to join.
To register for any of the above events or for more information contact:
- Trip to NYS Museum in Albany
Saturday, July 16 or Sunday, July 17, 2005
Free or low cost transportation may be provided
Exhibit curator will give a presentation to Youth Squad members
Elan Weiner at (917) 601-7593 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the
Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org.
Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
National Registry Basic EMT Exam
- Regional Training Center For EMTs, (917) 709-8318 is offering:
EMT & CFR, Basic & Refresher courses starting July 14th, 2005.
Tuesdays & Thursdays, 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM at Cathedral College, Immaculate Conception Center, 7200 Douglaston Pkwy, Queens.
All courses are funded for eligible participants. Costs are:
EMT Basic = $800, EMT Refresher = $500, CFR-D Basic = $500 and CFR Refresher = $300.
- West Queens EMT Institute, (718) 464-4194 is offering:
EMT BASIC 8/14/05 to 12/15/05, Tuesdays 7:00 to 10:00 PM and Sundays 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM at Woodhaven-Richmond Hill VAC. CIC: Martin Grillo. Funded (tuition free) seats are available for bona-fide members of volunteer services with NYS DOH Form 3312 Verification of Membership in a NYS EMS Agency signed by a squad officer. For others, the tuition is $750.00.
- Staten Island Emergency Medical Training, (718) 981-9474, WJWEMTP@aol.com is offering:
- Emergency Response to Terrorism: Thursday 6/30/05, 7 to 10:30 PM at Seaview Hospital, Staten Island. FREE.
- Ambulance Accident Prevention Seminar: Saturday 6/25/05, 9 AM to 3:30 PM at Seaview Hospital, Staten Island. Cost $45.00.
- EMT BASIC: 8/24/05 to 1/19/06, evenings 7 to 10:30 PM at Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn. Most classes on Mondays & Wednesdays but several on Tuesdays & Thursdays. Cost $750.00.
- EMT BASIC: 8/25/05 to 1/19/06, 7 to 10:30 PM at Seaview Hospital, Staten Island. Most classes on Tuesdays & Thursdays but a few on Wednesdays. Cost &750.00.
- EMT REFRESHER: 9/6/05 to 12/15/05, Mondays 7 to 10:30 PM plus Saturday 10/1/05 at Seaview Hospital, Staten Island. Tuition free for members of VAC & VFDs with documentation of membership.
- The West Queens EMT Institute will be administering the exam on Tuesday evening 6/21/05, 7:00 PM at Glen Oaks VAC, 257 Street & Union Turnpike in Glen Oaks, Queens. The cost of the exam is $40.00. Those wishing to take the exam must have completed an EMT Basic or Refresher course in last 24 months and a Skills Test in the last 12 months. To get an exam application package e-mail WQEMTI@aol.com or call (347) 739-6947. Pre-registration is mandatory as the exact number of exams have to be ordered.
- Staten Island Emergency Medical Training will be administering the exam on Wednesday evening 7/6/05 at Seaview Hospital, Staten Island. Cost $50.00. To register call (718) 981-9474 or e-mail WJWEMTP@aol.com.
- Pediatric Trauma Presentation
North Shore University Hospital, Departments of Surgery/Division of Trauma & Emergency Medicine
In cooperation with the Kiwanis Pediatric Trauma Foundation
Tuesday evening June 21, 2005 at 6:45PM
At Carlton-on-the-Park, Eisenhower Park, East Meadow
2 hours of CME per session will be awarded Dinner will be served.
RSVP requested to Sally S. Kuzniewski, RN, MA, CEN, Trauma Coordinator
(516) 562-2848, Fax (516) 562-1576 or e-mail Sallyk@NSHS.edu
Mark Your Calendars
- PULSE CHECK 2005, the 50th Annual Educational Conference & Trade Show of the NYS Volunteer Ambulance & Rescue Association will be held Thursday 9/22/05 to Sunday 9/25/05 at the Hudson Valley Resort, Kerhonkson, Ulster County, NY - only 90 minutes from NYC. Event features seminars, exhibits, awards dinner and the country's only statewide EMT and CFR team skills competition. For information call (877) NYSVARA or e-mail email@example.com
- VITAL SIGNS CONFERENCE 2005, Friday, October 14, 2005 to Sunday, October 16, 2005 in Rochester, NY. Sponsored by the NYS DOH Bureau of EMS. Includes general sessions, workshops, exhibits and awards banquet. For information contact Donna Gerard at (518) 402-0996 extension 3 or check the NYS DOH web site at www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/vitalsigns.htm