Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
July 2005 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish
1st Lieutenant: Martin Grillo
2nd Lieutenant: Ron Freed
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Steve Guttman
Personnel Officer: JP Vasquez
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
General Membership meetings are for all adult, associate and youth squad members. Prospective members in the squad are also welcome and encouraged to attend. These meetings are important for transacting squad business, communicating and clarifying information and meeting new members. We try and keep the meetings short and focused and not go over items covered in other communication vehicles. We ask that you carry out your responsibility as an interested member of the organization and make every effort to attend these meetings.
- Wednesday 07/20/05 8:00PM General Membership
- Wednesday 07/27/05 8:00PM Board Of Directors Meeting
The position of Financial Secretary as well as four (4) Associate Member seats on the Board of Directors remain open. We will try and fill the vacancies at the July membership meeting.
Duty Officer Rotations
Captain Daryl Mazlish: July, September & November
1st Lt. Martin Grillo: August, October & December
Dispatchers are to contact the Duty Officer at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
FREE hepatitis and meningitis vaccinations are available for squad members. Please contact Captain Mazlish at info@JEVAC.org if interested.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
15,000 envelopes were stuffed and labeled by the FEGS group at the Samuel Field Y. Mailing went to the Post Office on Friday 6/17/05. Results so far are:
|DEPOSITS|| DONATIONS|| AMOUNT|
$2,000 Legislative grant was received on 6/25/05. The grant was secured through the efforts of NYS Assemblyman Mark Weprin.
JAM-4: Out of Service.
JAM-6: Fully operational.
Special Event Crew Needed
ST. JOHNíS UNIVERSITY Concert on the Lawn will be held on Wednesday evening 8/3/05 from 6:30PM to 9:30PM. Squad has covered this event in the past.
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the
Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org.
Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
- West Queens EMT Institute, (718) 464-4194 is offering:
EMT BASIC 8/14/05 to 12/15/05, Tuesdays 7:00 to 10:00 PM and Sundays 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM at Woodhaven-Richmond Hill VAC. CIC: Martin Grillo. Funded (tuition free) seats are available for bona-fide members of volunteer services with NYS DOH Form 3312 Verification of Membership in a NYS EMS Agency signed by a squad officer. For others, the tuition is $750.00.
- Staten Island Emergency Medical Training, (718) 981-9474, WJWEMTP@aol.com is offering:
- EMT BASIC: 8/24/05 to 1/19/06, evenings 7 to 10:30 PM at Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn. Most classes on Mondays & Wednesdays but several on Tuesdays & Thursdays. Cost $750.00.
- EMT BASIC: 8/25/05 to 1/19/06, 7 to 10:30 PM at Seaview Hospital, Staten Island. Most classes on Tuesdays & Thursdays but a few on Wednesdays. Cost &750.00.
- EMT REFRESHER: 9/6/05 to 12/15/05, Mondays 7 to 10:30 PM plus Saturday 10/1/05 at Seaview Hospital, Staten Island. Tuition free for members of VAC & VFDs with documentation of membership.
- CME & Call Review Open to all EMS providers
Jamaica Hospital Medical Center
Auditorium #1, 6th Floor, Van Wyck Expressway & 89 Avenue, Jamaica, NY
Monday, July 25, 2005, 5:00PM
Program: Call Review & Stroke Prehospital Evaluation & Treatment
Presenter: Dr. Silberman
Mark Your Calendars
- PULSE CHECK 2005, the 50th Annual Educational Conference & Trade Show of the NYS Volunteer Ambulance & Rescue Association will be held Thursday 9/22/05 to Sunday 9/25/05 at the Hudson Valley Resort, Kerhonkson, Ulster County, NY - only 90 minutes from NYC. Event features seminars, exhibits, awards dinner and the country's only statewide EMT and CFR team skills competition. For information call (877) NYSVARA or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- VITAL SIGNS CONFERENCE 2005, Friday, October 14, 2005 to Sunday, October 16, 2005 in Rochester, NY. Sponsored by the NYS DOH Bureau of EMS. Includes general sessions, workshops, exhibits and awards banquet. For information contact Donna Gerard at (518) 402-0996 extension 3 or check the NYS DOH web site at www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/vitalsigns.htm