Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
September 2005 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish
1st Lieutenant: Martin Grillo
2nd Lieutenant: Ron Freed
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Steve Guttman
Personnel Officer: JP Vasquez
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
General Membership meetings are for all adult, associate and youth squad members. Prospective members in the squad are also welcome and encouraged to attend. These meetings are important for transacting squad business, communicating and clarifying information and meeting new members. We try and keep the meetings short and focused and not go over items covered in other communication vehicles. We ask that you carry out your responsibility as an interested member of the organization and make every effort to attend these meetings.
- Wednesday 09/14/05 8:00PM Board Of Directors Meeting
- Wednesday 09/28/05 8:00PM General Membership
The position of Financial Secretary as well as four (4) Associate Member seats on the Board of Directors remain open. We will try and fill the vacancies at the September membership meeting.
Duty Officer Rotations
Captain Daryl Mazlish: September & November
1st Lt. Martin Grillo: October & December
Dispatchers are to contact the Duty Officer at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
FREE hepatitis vaccinations are available for squad members. First Shot will be given at the GENERAL MEETING on September 14. Please contact Captain Mazlish at info@jJEVAC.org if interested.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
15,000 envelopes were stuffed and labeled by the FEGS group at the Samuel Field Y. Mailing went to the Post Office on Friday 6/17/05.
- $2,000 Legislative grant was received on 6/25/05. The grant was secured through the efforts of NYS Assemblyman Mark Weprin.
- The Department of Homeland Security has awarded JEVAC a $33,680 US Government Assistance to Firefighters [and EMS] Grant, announced 8/19/05. Our squad was the only VAC in New York City and one of three VAC’s in NY State to receive a grant. Funds will be used for EMS equipment, PPE and Wellness and Fitness programs.
JAM-4: Has been taken out of service and sold on August 30, 2005.
JAM-6: Fully operational.
Special Events Covered
ST. JOHN’S UNIVERSITY Concert on the Lawn was held on Wednesday evening 8/3/05 from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM.
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org. Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
CMEs & Seminars
- West Queens EMT Institute, (718) 464-4194 is offering:
EMT BASIC 8/14/05 to 12/15/05, Tuesdays 7:00 to 10:00 PM and Sundays 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM at Woodhaven-Richmond Hill VAC. CIC: Martin Grillo. Funded (tuition free) seats are available for bona-fide members of volunteer services with NYS DOH Form 3312 Verification of Membership in a NYS EMS Agency signed by a squad officer. For others, the tuition is $750.00.
- Staten Island Emergency Medical Training, (718) 981-9474, WJWEMTP@aol.com is offering:
- EMT REFRESHER: 9/6/05 to 12/15/05, Mondays 7 to 10:30 PM plus Saturday 10/1/05 at Seaview Hospital, Staten Island. Tuition free for members of VAC & VFDs with documentation of membership.
- West Queens Emergency Medical Training Institute is offering:
- EMT BASIC, 9/13/05 to 1/19/06, Tuesdays 7 to 10 PM and Sundays 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM at Forest Hills VAC, 92-29 Metropolitan Avenue, Forest Hills, NY. Tuition free for bona-fide members of volunteer ambulance corps with NYS DOH Form DOH-3312 Verification of Membership in A NYS EMS Agency completed by squad office. For others the cost is $750.00 payable at first class by money order or cash. CIC is Martin Grillo. Text is Brady EMT 10th edition.
- EMT REFRESHER, 10/1/05 to 12/15/05, Saturdays 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM at Forest Hills VAC, 92-29 Metropolitan Avenue, Forest Hills, NY. The first four classes are mandatory. Attendance at additional classes will be based on results of challenge exam. Tuition free for bona-fide members of volunteer ambulance corps with NYS DOH Form DOH-3312 Verification of Membership in A NYS EMS Agency completed by squad office. For others the cost is $350.00 payable at first class by money order or cash. CIC is Charles Hummel.
- For further information contact Charles Hummel at 718-456-4194.
- ATYPICAL CARDIAC PRESENTATION
Monday, September 12, 2005, 7 to 10PM
Presented by Flatlands VAC at Kings Plaza Mall Community Room, Flatbush Ave. & Avenue U, Brooklyn
by Babara Gratton, MD, Emergency Room Physician, Methodist Hospital
Refreshments served – parking in Kings Plaza garage $2.00 – RSVP by 9/8/05 to webmaster@FVAC.org
- ADVANCED AIRWAY MANAGEMENT
Wednesday, September 21, 2005, at 7:15PM
North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset – Rust Auditorium
By Jason D’Amore, MD, Attending Physician, Emergency Department
Dinner served – Present parking garage tickets before dinner for validation
- EMS RUN REVIEW
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 7-9PM
Winthrop University Hospital Community Outreach Center, 101 Mineola Blvd, Mineola
Speaker: Dr. Bruce Simon, Director, Trauma & Critical Care
Dr. Gerald Brody, Chairman, Ambulatory Care
CME, Hot Buffet, gifts, raffle
RSVP by Sept. 14 , 2005 - Judy Jax, RN, 663-8708 - e-mail: email@example.com
- EMERGENCY & DISASTER MANAGEMENT
HOSPITAL & PSYCHOSOCIAL LESSONS LEARNED FROM ISRAEL
Monday, September 26, 2005, 12:30 to 5:00PM at NYU Medical Center, Farkas Auditorium, 560 1st Avenue, NYC.
Moshe Michaelson, MD, Director of ED and Gila Hyams, RN, Trauma Coordinator
NYU Medical Center:
Esther Chachkes, Director of Social Work, Diane Rosenstein, LCSW, Supervisor
Rose Lynn Sherr, PhD, Asst Dir of Psychology, George W. Contreras, EMT-P, Dir of Emergency Management
Hospital Emergency Management and Psychological Preparedness
Apply lessons learned in Israel to NYC hospitals
Mark Your Calendars
- PULSE CHECK 2005, the 50th Annual Educational Conference & Trade Show of the NYS Volunteer Ambulance & Rescue Association will be held Thursday 9/22/05 to Sunday 9/25/05 at the Hudson Valley Resort, Kerhonkson, Ulster County, NY - only 90 minutes from NYC. Event features seminars, exhibits, awards dinner and the country's only statewide EMT and CFR team skills competition. For information call (877) NYSVARA or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- VITAL SIGNS CONFERENCE 2005, Friday, October 14, 2005 to Sunday, October 16, 2005 in Rochester, NY. Sponsored by the NYS DOH Bureau of EMS. Includes general sessions, workshops, exhibits and awards banquet. For information contact Donna Gerard at (518) 402-0996 extension 3 or check the NYS DOH web site at www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/vitalsigns.htm
- NYC VOLUNTEER EMS RECOGNITION DINNER, Tuesday 5/16/06 at Russo’s On-The-Bay, Howard Beach, Queens. For info and/or reservations contact Martin Grillo at email@example.com