Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
December 2005 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish
1st Lieutenant: Martin Grillo
2nd Lieutenant: Ron Freed
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Steve Guttman
Personnel Officer: JP Vasquez
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
General Membership meetings are for all adult, associate and youth squad members. Prospective members in the squad are also welcome and encouraged to attend. These meetings are important for transacting squad business, communicating and clarifying information and meeting new members. We try and keep the meetings short and focused and not go over items covered in other communication vehicles. We ask that you carry out your responsibility as an interested member of the organization and make every effort to attend these meetings.
- Wednesday 12/14/05 8:15PM Board Of Directors Meeting
- Sunday 12/18/05 6:00PM Awards Dinner and Holiday party
- Wednesday 12/21/05 8:00PM General Membership
Nominations for all positions are open starting with the November General Membership meeting.
Squad elections will be held at the December 21st General Membership meeting.
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Martin Grillo: December
Dispatchers are to contact the Duty Officer at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
FREE hepatitis and meningitis vaccinations are available for active squad members. Please contact Captain Mazlish at info@jJEVAC.org if interested.
There will be three stacked shots. The third shot will be in March 2006. If you cannot make those dates, other arrangements are possible.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
- 15,000 envelopes were stuffed and labeled by the FEGS group at the Samuel Field Y. Mailing went to the Post Office on Friday 6/17/05. So far, $12, 053 has been collected form the General Fund mailing.
- 15,000 envelopes were stuffed and labeled by the FEGS group at the Samuel Field Y for the Annual Building Fund Drive mailing. Approximately 12,000 letters were mailed on December 9 with the remainder to be mailed shortly thereafter.
- $2,000 Legislative grant for fiscal year 04-05 was received on 6/25/05. The grant was secured through the efforts of NYS Assemblyman Mark Weprin.
- $33,680 US Government Assistance to Firefighters [and EMS] Grant to the squad was announced 8/19/05. Funds will be used for EMS equipment, PPE and Wellness and Fitness programs.
- Application for $2,000 grant secured by NYS Assemblyman Mark Weprin has been completed ahead of schedule and sent in.
- The Corps has received $5,000 in grant funds secured by NYS Senator Frank Padavan.
JAM#7 Has Been Purchased
The new JAM#7 is a 1996 PL Custom formerly owned by Middle Island FD. Purchased from Specialty Hearse and Ambulance Sales (SHASCO) of Plainview, NY. Expected to be in service shortly.
JAM-6: Fully operational.
Special Event Crew Needed
None this Month.
Special Events Covered
None this Month.
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org. Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
CMEs & Seminars
- REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER FOR EMTs is offering:
CFR-D and EMT-Basic Class – Both Original and Refresher - 1/3/06 to 5/2006, Tuesdays and Thursdays 7:00pm to 10:00 pm at Cathedral college, Immaculate Conception Center, 7200 Douglaston Pkwy. Tuition free for bona-fide members of volunteer ambulance corps with NYS DOH Form DOH-3312 Verification of Membership in A NYS EMS Agency completed by squad office. CIC is Robert Pace. Info can be obtained from the website: http://www.RTCEMT.com
- At LUTHERAN MEDICAL CENTER
EMT-B Original 1/23/2006 to 5/2006
1st Ave & 55th St, Brooklyn, New York, NY 11209
Contact Information: Staten Island EMT Institute (SIEMT)
Willard Wright, CIC; 718 981-9474 email@example.com
- At JOHN JAY COLLEGE OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE, CUNY
EMT-Basic Original - 1/24/2006 to 5/2006
Office of Continuing & Professional Studies*EMS Training Program
555 West 57th Street suite#601, New York, NY 10019
Contact Information: John Jay College*EMS Training Program
Ron Perkins, CIC-Director of EMS Programs (212)237-8663
Email Address : firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Your Calendars
- JEVAC Awards Dinner and holiday party will be held at Monahan & Fitzgerald on Sunday December 18 from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Reservations are required. Please RSVP to INFO@JEVAC.org. Expected to attend are US Congressman Anthony Weiner, State Senator Frank Padavan, State Assembyman Mark Weprin and City Council Finance Chairman David Weprin. Hon. David I. Weprin will be presenting us with a ceremonial check from New York City, as well as be available to discuss issues of importance to the members and our squad.
- NYC VOLUNTEER EMS RECOGNITION DINNER, Tuesday 5/16/06 at Russo’s On-The-Bay, Howard Beach, Queens. For info and/or reservations contact Martin Grillo at email@example.com