Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
August 2006 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish
1st Lieutenant: Martin Grillo
2nd Lieutenant: Sam Merel
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: (Vacant)
Personnel Officer: Ed Pearce (Acting)
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
No meetings scheduled for this month!
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Martin Grillo: August, October, December
2nd Lt. Sam Merel: September, November
Dispatchers are asked to contact the Duty Officer (Martin this month) at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
15,000 envelopes were stuffed and labeled by the FEGS group at the Samuel Field Y for the Annual Building Fund Drive mailing. This mailing was sent out in May. Collections so far:
- June 2006: 346 Responses, yielding $8,226.00 in donations
- July 2006: 103 Responses, yielding $2,622.00 in donations
- $33,680 US Government Assistance to Firefighters [and EMS] Grant to the squad was announced 8/19/05. Funds will be used for EMS equipment, PPE and Wellness and Fitness programs. Currently, approximately $8,462 has been awarded.
- Members are reminded to submit receipts for their annual physicals for reimbursement prior to August 3.
- JAM-6: Fully operational.
- JAM-7: Fully operational.
Special Event Crew Needed
- Wednesday August 2, 2006 6:30pm to 9:30pm
St. Johns University Concert in the Great Lawn, At least two EMT’s will be required for this event. Flushing VAC is expected to cover the event as well.
Special Events Covered
- Thursday July 13, 2006 The New York Philharmonic's annual Concerts in the Parks at Cunningham Park. The two-hour concert was followed by a fireworks show. Ed Pearce, Celia Sporer, Brandon King, John-Paul Vasquez, Hyoung Yoon and Captain Daryl Mazlish were on hand for the standby. There were no patients at this event in need of treatment. The fireworks show was excellent!
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org. Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
CMEs & Seminars
- PARAMEDIC–Original starting September 2006, Mon, Tues Thurs 6:30pm to 10:30pm
At North Shore LIJ Center for Emergency Services
Paramedic Training Program Open House Saturday March 25, 2006 10:00am
EMS Building, 15 Burke Lane, Syosset, NY 11791
Cost: Application Fee $50. Course Cost $7,000 includes books
Prerequisites: Current EMT, 1 year of Experience, pass Pre-test and Interview
- Wednesday August 9 at 6:30pm
NYC Office of Emergency Managemnet is sponsoring a Ready NY class
TOPIC: Hurricaine Preparedness presentation
LOCATION: Alley Pond Environmental Center; 228-06 Northern Blvd
All are welcome to attend. There is no charge for this lecture.
Sponsored by City Council members Tony Avella and David I. Weprin and the NYC OEM.
- Monday August 21 and 28 at 8:00am to 5:00pm
Saint Vincent’s Catholic Medical Center’s Emergency Medical Service Institute
TOPIC: Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS)
LOCATION: St. Anthony’s Allied Health Professional Institute, 175-05 Horace Harding Expressway, Fresh Meadows, New York 11365
Presentation will be located in the Physician Assistant classroom
All Emergency EMTs and Paramedics are welcome to attend
For Information contact Frank Riboni, EMT-P, CIC, email: email@example.com 718-357-0500 x137
Cost: $250.00 per student for both classes. Pre-registration is required.
- Monday, Sept 18, 2006 at 7:00 PM
The Regional Pediatric Trauma Center at Schneider Children’s Hospital is pleased to present:
TOPIC: “MANAGEMENT OF SHOCK IN THE PEDIATRIC TRAUMA PATIENT”
PRESENTER: Peter Silver, MD, Clinical Director, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
LOCATION: Saul and Evelyn Epstein Teaching Center, Ground Floor, LIJ Campus, 269-01 76 Avenue, New Hyde Park, NY 11040
Dinner and Free Parking for all attendees
RSVP is required by 9/11/06 at 718-470-4547 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The new American Heart Protocols (“2005 Protocols”) are out. All riding members must be updated to the new protocols by October 2006.
Sign up sheets for classes will be in the dispatch area. The classes are free to members and associates.
Included in the 2005 Protocols are changes to the following:
Mark Your Calendars
- What constitutes an adult versus a child
- Hand position
- Changes to blind finger sweeps
- Compression sequence changes (30:2 versus 15:2)
- Procedures for witnessed arrest and drowning victims
- AED procedures
- 23rd Annual NATIONAL NIGHT OUT AGAINST CRIME: Tuesday August 1, 2006
- 103 Police Precinct will be holding their event in the Rufus King Park, 153 Street and Jamaica Avenue from 6:00pm to 9:00pm. Calypso Rose and Nu Millennium will perform, and the annual Police Officer Charles Davis Award will be given to a deserving community advocate or police officer. A candle lighting ceremony will take place at 9 p.m.
- 107 Police Precinct will be holding their event in the Electchester Shopping Plaza on Parsons Blvd from 7:30pm to 9:00pm. There will be games, a barbecue and free flashlights.
- 111 Police Precinct will be holding their event in the Douglaston Mall parking lot, 72-00 Douglaston Parkway in front of Modell’s Sporting Goods from 6:00pm to 9:00pm. There will be rides, food, clowns and cotton candy provided by local businesses, civic associations and the precinct council.
- 113 Police Precinct will hold its event from 6:00pm to 9:00p.m. at Roy Wilkins Park, at the corner of Merrick and Baisley boulevards. There will be a barbecue with hot dogs and hamburgers, dancers, singers, VIN etching to prevent bicycle theft and informational tables
- PULSE CHECK 2006, the 51st Annual Educational Conference & Trade Show of the NYS Volunteer Ambulance & Rescue Association will be held Thursday 8/24/06 to Sunday morning 8/27/06 at the Hudson Valley Resort, Kerhonkson, Ulster County, NY - only 90 minutes from NYC. Event features seminars, exhibits, statewide EMT/CFR team skills drill and ambulance drill competitions, memorial service and awards dinner. Information will be available soon at www.nysvara.org on: conference registration, room reservations, preliminary list of seminars, Drill application, trophy donations, golf outing and Journal ads. There will also be information on the web site about nominations for the Association’s annual awards and scholarships. If more information is needed call (877) NYSVARA or e-mail email@example.com
- NY FIRE CHIEFS’ ISLAND CONFERENCE & EXPO, Saturday & Sunday, 9/23-9/24, 2006 at Hofstra University, Hempstead, Long Island will feature displays of industry manufacturers, and local distributors including apparatus, gear, tools, equipment and collectibles as well as product demonstrations. For info go to www.nysfirechiefs.com
- Sunday, December 3, 2006, Annual Jamaica Estates Holliswood South Bayside VAC Awards Brunch / Dinner. Save the Date!
Jean Gourley, President of Flushing Community Volunteer Ambulance Corps and Treasurer of the NYS Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association, on July 3, 2006. She was 61 years old. Her years of dedication to the volunteer ambulance causes and her selfless devotion spanned decades. Her presence will be missed in the volunteer ambulance community.
- Adam Freed - passed the EMT-B exam
- Brandon King – passed the CFR exam
- Rashard King – successfully completed the FDNY EMS academy
- John-Paul Vasquez - passed the EMT-B exam
- Hyoung Yoon - passed the EMT-B exam
- Justin Young – Celebrated Wedding on July 6, 2006
- Justin Young – passed the Paramedic Exam