Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
October 2006 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish
1st Lieutenant: Martin Grillo
2nd Lieutenant: Sam Merel
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: (Vacant)
Personnel Officer: Ed Pearce (Acting)
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
- Wednesday 10/11/06 8:00PM Board of Director’s Meeting
- Wednesday 10/18/06 8:00PM General Membership Meeting
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Martin Grillo: October, December
2nd Lt. Sam Merel: November
Dispatchers are asked to contact the Duty Officer (Martin this month) at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
15,000 envelopes were stuffed and labeled by the FEGS group at the Samuel Field Y for the Annual Building Fund Drive mailing. This mailing was sent out in May. Collections so far:
- June 2006: 346 Responses, yielding $8,226.00 in donations
- July 2006: 103 Responses, yielding $2,622.00 in donations
- August 2006: 50 Responses, yielding $1,133.00 in donations
- September 2006 25 Responses, yielding $ 996.00 in donations
- Application for $3,000 grant secured by NYC Councilman David I. Weprin has been received.
- Application for $5,000 grant secured by State Senator frank Padavan has been received.
- Application for $2,000 grant secured by State Assemblyman Mark Weprin has been received.
- JAM-6: Fully operational.
- JAM-7: Fully operational.
Special Event Crews Needed
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk – 10/15/06
5 mile walk starts and ends at Queens Borough Hall on Queens Boulevard.
Registration on-site begins at 9:15am, walk begins at 11:00am, is usually over by 1:00pm.
- American Kennels Dog Show in Cunningham Park, Friday through Sunday October 27, 28, 29
Crews are needed for the medical standby from 8:30am to 4:00pm each day.
Special Events Covered
None this past month.
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org. Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
CMEs & Seminars
- Wednesday, October 11, 2006 at 5:00pm
[This is a repeat of last month’s protocol Update CME for those who missed it!]
Saint Vincent’s Catholic Medical Center’s Emergency Medical Service Institute
TOPIC: “NYC REMAC Protocol UPDATE”
PRESENTER: Dr. Victor Politi, Medical Director
LOCATION: St. Anthony’s Allied Health Professional Institute, 175-05 Horace Harding Expressway, Fresh Meadows, New York 11365
Presentation will be located in the BOARDROOM
All Emergency Responders are Welcome to Attend
Coffee and Cookies will be served
For Information contact Robert Hou, EMT-P, (718) 357-0500 ext 112
email@example.com, or Frank Riboni, EMT-P, CIC, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday, October 16, 2006; at 7:30 PM
The St. Francis Hospital; DeMatteis Center Departments of Cardiac Research and Education presents:
TOPIC: Stroke Update
Presented by: Dr. Paul Wright, MD; Director Stroke Program, St. Francis Hospital; Dr. Robert Miller, MD, St Francis Hospital Emergency Department
Location: St. Francis Hospital; DeMatteis Center
Light Dinner will be served
RSVP: Nancy.Kostel-Donlon@CHSLI.ORG, or (516)629-2038
The DeMatteis Center Driving Directions:
Long Island Expressway to Exit 39N (Glen Cove Road North) or Northern State Parkway to Glen Cove Road North. Follow Glen Cove Road North 4 miles to the intersection of Northern Boulevard (Route 25A). Turn right on Northern Boulevard going east. At the second traffic light, turn left into St. Francis Hospital DeMatteis Center.
- Wednesday, October 25, 2006 at 6:00 PM
North Shore University Hospital, Department of Surgery
TOPIC: “Recent Advancements in the Treatment of Stroke”
SPEAKER: Jeffrey Katz, M.D.
LOCATION: ED Auditorium, in basement below the ER @
North Shore University Hospital
Dinner will be served
RSVP: Jill Slutsky (email@example.com)
- Tuesday, December 12, 2006 at 7:00 PM
The Regional Pediatric Trauma Center at Schneider Children’s Hospital is pleased to present:
TOPIC: “AIRWAY MANAGEMENT IN THE PEDIATRIC TRAUMA PATIENT”
PRESENTER: Brenda Marcano, MD, Attending Pediatric Intensivist, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
LOCATION: Saul and Evelyn Epstein Teaching Center, Ground Floor, LIJ Campus, 269-01 76 Avenue, New Hyde Park, NY 11040
Dinner and Free Parking for all attendees
RSVP is required by 11/12/06 at 718-470-4547 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The new American Heart Protocols (“2005 Protocols”) are out. As per orders from the NY State Dept of Health, all riding members must be updated to the new protocols by December 31 2006.
Sign up sheets for classes will be in the dispatch area. The classes are free to members and associates.
Included in the 2005 Protocols are changes to the following:
Mark Your Calendars
- What constitutes an adult versus a child
- Hand position
- Changes to blind finger sweeps
- Compression sequence changes (30:2 versus 15:2)
- Infant CPR
- Procedures for witnessed arrest and drowning victims
- AED procedures
- Recovery position
- Sunday, December 3, 2006, Annual Jamaica Estates Holliswood South Bayside VAC Awards Luncheon. Save the Date!
- TINA CHEE – for passing the NYS EMT exam.
- STEVEN GUTTMAN – birth of son Andrew on October 5.