Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
November 2006 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish
1st Lieutenant: Martin Grillo
2nd Lieutenant: Sam Merel
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: (Vacant)
Personnel Officer: Ed Pearce (Acting)
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
- Wednesday 11/08/06 8:00PM Board of Director’s Meeting
- Wednesday 11/15/06 8:00PM General Membership Meeting – Nominations for squad officer elections begins on November 15, 2006. If you are unhappy with the way things are done at the squad now, here is your chance to get more involved and make a difference next year!
Members are reminded to RSVP for the Awards Luncheon to be held on Sunday December 3. We need an accurate count of the number to be expected before November 26. Please contact Jennifer Konigsberg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Martin Grillo: December
2nd Lt. Sam Merel: November
Dispatchers are asked to contact the Duty Officer (Sam this month) at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
15,000 envelopes were stuffed and labeled by the FEGS group at the Samuel Field Y for the Annual Building Fund Drive mailing. This mailing was sent out in May. Collections so far:
- June 2006: 346 Responses, yielding $8,226.00 in donations
- July 2006: 103 Responses, yielding $2,622.00 in donations
- August 2006: 50 Responses, yielding $1,133.00 in donations
- September 2006: 25 Responses, yielding $ 996.00 in donations
- October 2006: 12 Responses, yielding $ 178.00 in donations
TOTAL OF $13,155.00
15,000 envelopes are in the process of being stuffed and labeled by both the Youth and Adults squads and the FEGS group. The letters will go to the US Post Office for mailing on Wednesday November 15.
- Application for $3,000 grant secured by NYC Councilman David I. Weprin has been received.
- Application for $5,000 grant secured by State Senator Frank Padavan has been received.
- Application for $2,000 grant secured by State Assemblyman Mark Weprin has been received.
- JAM-6: Fully operational.
- JAM-7: Fully operational.
Special Event Crews Needed
None this month.
Special Events Covered
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk – Sunday 10/15/06
5 mile walk started and ended at Queens Borough Hall on Queens Boulevard. Event was covered by James Downey, JP Vasquez, Ed Pearce, Youth Squad members Devin Friedland and Rocky Diaz, and Captain Daryl Mazlish. There was one incident and we transported one patient with an injury to Jamaica Hospital ER.
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org. Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
CMEs & Seminars
- Thursday November 2, 2006 at 7:00 pm (expected to end around 10:00 pm)
NYS DOH, Bureau of EMS, EMS for Children Training Opportunity
TOPIC: “CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT: A CONTINUING EDUCATION COURSE FOR NYS EMTs”
PRESENTER: Arthur Cooper, MD
LOCATION: Glen Oaks Volunteer Ambulance Corps HQ
257-02 Union Turnpike, Floral Park, NY
NYS CME Credits of 3 hours will be awarded
Pre-Registration is required. Contact Bob Smath at (347) 865-8781 or (718) 343-7084 or email email@example.com
- Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 5:00pm
[This is a repeat of last month’s protocol Update CME for those who missed it!]
Saint Vincent’s Catholic Medical Center’s Emergency Medical Service Institute
TOPIC: “NYC REMAC Protocol UPDATE”
PRESENTER: Dr. Victor Politi, Medical Director
LOCATION: St. Anthony’s Allied Health Professional Institute,
175-05 Horace Harding Expressway, Fresh Meadows, New York 11365
Presentation will be located in the BOARDROOM
All Emergency Responders are Welcome to Attend
Coffee and Cookies will be served
For Information contact Robert Hou, EMT-P, (718) 357-0500 ext 112 email:
firstname.lastname@example.org, or Frank Riboni, EMT-P, CIC, email: email@example.com
- Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 6:00PM
North Shore University Hospital, Department of Surgery
TOPIC: “Recent Advancements in the Treatment of Stroke”
SPEAKER: Jeffrey Katz, M.D.
LOCATION: ED Auditorium, in basement below the ER GOLD section @ North Shore University Hospital Manhasset
Dinner will be served
RSVP: Jill Slutsky (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Tuesday, December 12, 2006 at 7:00PM
The Regional Pediatric Trauma Center at Schneider Children’s Hospital is pleased to present:
TOPIC: “AIRWAY MANAGEMENT IN THE PEDIATRIC TRAUMA PATIENT”
PRESENTER: Brenda Marcano, MD, Attending Pediatric Intensivist, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
LOCATION: Saul and Evelyn Epstein Teaching Center, Ground Floor, LIJ Campus, 269-01 76 Avenue, New Hyde Park, NY 11040
Dinner and Free Parking for all attendees
RSVP is required by 12/7/06 at 718-470-4547 or email email@example.com
The new American Heart Protocols (“2005 Protocols”) are out. As per orders from the NY State Dept of Health, all riding members must be updated to the new protocols by December 31 2006.
Sign up sheets for classes will be in the dispatch area. The classes are free to members and associates.
Included in the 2005 Protocols are changes to the following:
New Defibs Have Arrived
- What constitutes an adult versus a child
- Hand position
- Changes to blind finger sweeps
- Compression sequence changes (30:2 versus 15:2)
- Infant CPR
- Procedures for witnessed arrest and drowning victims
- AED procedures
- Recovery position
The new Medtronic Lifepak 1000 defibrillators have arrived. A mandatory training class will be held after the General Membership meeting on November 15.
Mark Your Calendars
Flu Vaccine Clinic
- Sunday, December 3, 2006, Annual Jamaica Estates Holliswood South Bayside VAC Awards Luncheon. Save the Date!
Be sure to RSVP by November 26 to reserve your spot. There is NO Charge for this function.
Wednesday December 6th: 7:15pm to 9:00pm
Sunday December 10th 1:15pm to 4:00pm
Free Flu vaccine sponsored by Community Board 11 at St. Mary’s Hospital for Children.
29-01 216 street, Bayside, NY 11360
Appointments are required. Call Community Board 11 at 718-225-1054
Who should be vaccinated?
- All Healthcare workers
- People with chronic medical conditions
- Out of Home caregivers
- Children over 6 months to 5 years old
- Children 50 years of age or older