Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
March 2007 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish - info@JEVAC.org
1st Lieutenant: Edward F. Pearce
2nd Lieutenant: John-Paul Vasquez
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Midge Pearce
Personnel Officer: Celia Sporer
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
- Sunday 3/04/07 11:00AM Youth Squad Monthly Meeting
- Wednesday 3/21/07 7:45PM Board of Director’s Meeting
- Wednesday 3/21/07 8:15PM General Membership Meeting
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Edward Pearce: March, May, July, September, November
2nd Lt John-Paul Vasquez: April, June, August, October, December
Dispatchers are asked to contact the Duty Officer (Ed Pearce this month) at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
15,000 envelopes were stuffed and labeled by the Youth Squad and the FEGS group at the Samuel Field Y for the Annual Building Fund Drive mailing. This mailing was sent out on November 15, 2006.
Building Fund Collections So far:
November 2006 - 72 Responses, yielding $ 2,522 in donations
December 2006 - 386 Responses, yielding $ 8,537 in donations
January 2007 - 106 Responses, yielding $ 3,034 in donations
February 2007 – 17 Responses, yielding $ 310 in donations
TOTAL TO DATE BUILDING FUND DONATIONS: $14,403.
- Grant funds have been received in the amount of $5,000, secured by NY State Senator Frank Padavan.
- Grant funds have been received in the amount of $3,000, secured by NYC Councilman David I. Weprin.
- Application for $2,000 grant secured by State Assemblyman Mark Weprin has been processed and sent out to the State.
- JAM-6: Fully operational.
- JAM-7: Fully operational.
Special Event Crews Needed
- Sunday 4/29/2007 from 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM
Alley Pond Striders on will have its annual 5 Mile Challenge Run through Alley Pond Park and the Vanderbilt Motor Parkway. Last year there were over 400 competitors. We will need a crew for the event. Contact is Helen Pineda at (917)861-1949.
- Dates TBD:
Jamaica Estates Holliswood Little League Parade.
Mid Queens Fresh Meadows Little League Parade.
Queens Village Hollis Bellerose Little League Parade.
Special Events Covered
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org. Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
CMEs & Seminars
- Thursday March 1, 2007 7:00pm to 10:00pm
Glen Oaks Volunteer Ambulance presents
TOPIC: “Child Abuse and Neglect”
SPEAKER: Dr. Arthur Cooper, MD
Location: Glen Oaks VAC training room, 257-02 Union Turnpike
Registration: Contact: Robert Smath at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuesday, March 13, 2007, at 6:00PM
Flushing Hospital Medical Center
TOPIC: "Chemical and Alcohol Dependence"
SPEAKER: Robert Crupi, MD, Chairman of Emergency Medicine
And Joseph Cannavo, MD, Chemical Dependence Unit Chief
Dinner will be served
The new American Heart Protocols (“2005 Protocols”) are out. As per orders from the NY State Dept of Health, all riding members must be updated to the new protocols by July 1, 2007.
Sign up sheets for classes will be in the dispatch area. The classes are free to members and associates.
Included in the 2005 Protocols are changes to the following:
- What constitutes an adult versus a child
- Hand position
- Changes to blind finger sweeps
- Compression sequence changes (30:2 versus 15:2)
- Infant CPR
- Procedures for witnessed arrest and drowning victims
- AED procedures
- Recovery position