Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
April 2007 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish - info@JEVAC.org
1st Lieutenant: Edward F. Pearce
2nd Lieutenant: John-Paul Vasquez
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Midge Pearce
Personnel Officer: Celia Sporer
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
- Wednesday 4/18/07 7:45PM Board of Director’s Meeting
- Wednesday 4/18/07 8:15PM General Membership Meeting
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Edward Pearce: May, July, September, November
2nd Lt John-Paul Vasquez: April, June, August, October, December
Dispatchers are asked to contact the Duty Officer (JP this month) at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
15,000 envelopes were stuffed and labeled by the Youth Squad and the FEGS group at the Samuel Field Y for the Annual Building Fund Drive mailing. This mailing was sent out on November 15, 2006.
Building Fund Collections So far:
November 2006 - 72 Responses, yielding $ 2,522 in donations
15,000 envelopes are being printed and will be mailed in April for the Annual general Fund mailing.
December 2006 - 386 Responses, yielding $ 8,537 in donations
January 2007 - 106 Responses, yielding $ 3,034 in donations
February 2007 – 17 Responses, yielding $ 310 in donations
March 2007 – 15 Responses, yielding $ 472 in donations
TOTAL TO DATE BUILDING FUND DONATIONS: $14,875.
- Grant funds have been received in the amount of $5,000, secured by NY State Senator Frank Padavan.
- Grant funds have been received in the amount of $3,000, secured by NYC Councilman David I. Weprin.
- Application for $2,000 grant secured by State Assemblyman Mark Weprin has been processed and sent out to the State. Waiting for the check!!!
- JAM-6: Fully operational.
- JAM-7: Fully operational.
Special Event Crews Needed
- Jamaica Estates Holliswood Little League Parade - Saturday April 14, 2007, starting at the Cunningham Park parking lot on Union Turnpike at 196 Street, and ending at the ball-fields on 73rd Avenue between Francis Lewis Blvd and Clearview Expressway. Lineup begins at 8:30am.
- Mid Queens Fresh Meadows Little League Parade - Saturday April 14, 2007, 10:00 am. Parade begins at 73rd Avenue and Springfield Blvd and proceeds west on 73rd Avenue to at 210th Street.
- Queens Village Hollis Bellerose Little League Parade – Saturday April 14, 2007, 10:30 am - Parade begins on Hillside Avenue at 217th Street. Parade proceeds east on Hillside Avenue to the Padavan-Preller Fields.
- Alley Pond Striders - Sunday 4/29/2007 from 9:30 AM to 11:30 am - An annual 5 Mile Challenge Run through Alley Pond Park and the Vanderbilt Motor Parkway. Last year there were over 400 competitors.
- Big Apple Circus at Cunningham Park
May 12 • Saturday @ 12:30pm, 4:30pm
May 13 • Sunday @ 12:30pm, 4:30pm
May 15 • Tuesday @ 11:00am
May 16 • Wednesday @ 11:00am
May 17 • Thursday @ 11:00am, 6:30pm
May 18 • Friday @ 11:00am, 6:30pm
May 19 • Saturday @ 12:30pm, 4:30pm
May 20 • Sunday @ 12:30pm, 4:30pm
May 22 • Tuesday @ 11:00am, 6:30pm
May 23 • Wednesday @ 11:00am, 6:30pm
May 24 • Thursday @ 11:00am, 6:30pm
May 25 • Friday @ 11:00am, 6:30pm
May 26 • Saturday @ 12:30pm, 4:30pm
May 27 • Sunday @ 12:30pm, 4:30pm
May 28 • Monday @ 12:30am, 4:30pm Memorial Day
- Saturday June 9, 2007 4:00pm to midnight
St. Johns University Alumni Weekend Activities - At least two EMT’s will be required for this event, which generally generates a few patients, especially after alcohol is served all day long. Flushing VAC will cover the event from 8:00am until 4:00pm.
Special Events Covered
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org. Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
- LAGUARDIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE at 31-10 Thomson Avenue Room C-339, Long Island City, NY 11101 is offering:
- EMT Basic: 6/18 to 8/16/07, Mondays, Tuesdays & Thursdays, 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
- EMT Basic: 5/14/07 to 8/16/07, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays, 6:00 to 9:30 PM.
Tuition: $790.00. Call (718) 482-5768 for info or application.
Funded (tuition free) seats are available for bona-fide members of volunteer services with NYS DOH Form 3312 Verification of Membership in a NYS EMS Agency signed by a squad officer.
- Paramedic: 9/5/07 to 8/15/08, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday evenings and every other Saturday. Tuition: $5,800.00. Financial Aid and payment plans accepted. Associate's Degree Program available. Call (718) 482-5237 for info.
CMEs & Seminars
- Thursday April 5, 2007 - 6:00pm to 10:00pm
FDNY Office of Medical Affairs & EMS Operations presents
Quarterly Continuing Medical Education
TOPIC: “Medical Emergencies”
LOCATION: Brookdale Hospital, 555 Rockaway Parkway, Brooklyn, NY
Dinner will be served – Seating is limited
RSVP with Paramedic Christopher Swanson @ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wednesday, April 25, 2007, at 6:00 PM
North Shore University Hospital, Department of Emergency Medicine.
SPEAKER: Zhanna Roit, M.D.
LOCATION: ED Auditorium, @ North Shore University Hospital; Manhasset
(take ER’s Gold section elevator to basement)
Dinner will be served.
RSVP: Jill Slutsky (email@example.com)
The new American Heart Protocols (“2005 Protocols”) are out. As per orders from the NY State Dept of Health, all riding members must be updated to the new protocols by July 1, 2007.
Sign up sheets for classes will be in the dispatch area. The classes are free to members and associates.
Included in the 2005 Protocols are changes to the following:
Mark Your Calendars
- What constitutes an adult versus a child
- Hand position
- Changes to blind finger sweeps
- Compression sequence changes (30:2 versus 15:2)
- Infant CPR
- Procedures for witnessed arrest and drowning victims
- AED procedures
- Recovery position
- Sunday April 15, 9:00am-4:00pm - SPRING MELT FIRE & EMS FLEA MARKET at the Allentown Fairgrounds, in Allentown, PA. This is a great show for memorabilia, t-shirts and used fire and EMS equipment such as lightbars, sirens, helmets, etc.
- Wednesday, April 18, 2007 – 9:00 am to 3:00pm - The Westchester Department of Public Safety, Department of Public Works and Westchester Educational Safety Training Committee presents the second annual Regional Emergency Services Fleet and Equipment Demo Day at Rye Playland, Rye, NY. The event is targeted for Fire/Police/EMS and other emergency services, municipal leaders and procurement officials and fleet maintenance professionals in the lower Hudson Valley NY, CT, Northern NJ and NYC region. In addition to a variety of vendors with vehicles and equipment geared to the needs of emergency services providers, many agencies and departments will be represented with their own vehicles, equipment and demonstrations. The event is a great networking opportunity for emergency services providers. There will also be a variety of scheduled demonstrations throughout the day.
- NYS Volunteer Ambulance & Rescue Association, New York City region - Districts 4 & 18 present VOLUNTEER EMS RECOGNITION DINNER on MAY 15, 2007 at Russo’s on the Bay.
- Friday May 18 to Sunday May 20, 2007 - FIRE EXPO 2007 at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex, Harrisburg, PA. Admission $7.00. 360 vendors and over 225 emergency vehicles will be displayed. This is one of the largest Fire-EMS-Rescue shows in the country.
- PULSE CHECK 2007, the 52nd Annual Educational Conference & Trade Show of the NYS Volunteer Ambulance & Rescue Association will be held Thursday 10/4/07 to Sunday morning 10/7/07 at the Hudson Valley Resort, Kerhonkson, Ulster County, NY - only 90 minutes from NYC. Event features seminars, exhibits, statewide EMT/CFR team skills drill and ambulance drill competitions, memorial service and awards dinner. Information will be available soon at www.nysvara.org on: conference registration, room reservations, preliminary list of seminars, Drill application, trophy donations, golf outing and Journal ads. There will also be information on the web site about nominations for the Association’s annual awards and scholarships. For more information, call (877) NYSVARA or e-mail pulsecheck@NYSVARA.org.