Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
June 2007 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish - info@JEVAC.org
1st Lieutenant: Edward F. Pearce
2nd Lieutenant: John-Paul Vasquez
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Midge Pearce
Personnel Officer: Celia Sporer
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
- Sunday 6/3/07 11:00AM Youth Corps Meeting
- Wednesday 6/13/07 7:45PM Board of Director’s Meeting
- Wednesday 6/13/07 8:15PM General Membership Meeting
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Edward Pearce: July, September, November
2nd Lt John-Paul Vasquez: June, August, October, December
Dispatchers are asked to contact the Duty Officer (JP this month) at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
Building Fund Collections So far:
November 2006 72 Responses, yielding $ 2,522 in donations
General Fund Collections So far:
December 2006 386 Responses, yielding $ 8,537 in donations
January 2007 106 Responses, yielding $ 3,034 in donations
February 2007 17 Responses, yielding $ 310 in donations
March 2007 15 Responses, yielding $ 472 in donations
April 2007 8 Responses, yielding $ 355 in donations
TOTAL TO DATE BUILDING FUND DONATIONS: $15,230.
May 2007 121 Responses, yielding $ 6,121 in donations
- Grant funds have been received in the amount of $5,000, secured by NY State Senator Frank Padavan.
- Grant funds have been received in the amount of $3,000, secured by NYC Councilman David I. Weprin.
- Grant funds have been received in the amount of $2,000, secured by NY State Assemblyman Mark Weprin.
- JAM-6: Fully operational.
- JAM-7: Fully operational.
Special Event Crews Needed
- Saturday June 9, 2007 4:00pm to midnight
St. Johns University Alumni Weekend Activities - At least two EMT’s will be required for this event, which generally generates a few patients, especially after alcohol is served all day long.
Special Events Covered
- Big Apple Circus at Cunningham Park
Jamaica Estates VAC covered all 28 performances of the Big Apple Circus. A special thanks to all who helped!
May 12 • Saturday @ 12:30pm, 4:30pm
May 13 • Sunday @ 12:30pm, 4:30pm
May 15 • Tuesday @ 11:00am
May 16 • Wednesday @ 11:00am
May 17 • Thursday @ 11:00am, 6:30pm
May 18 • Friday @ 11:00am, 6:30pm
May 19 • Saturday @ 12:30pm, 4:30pm
May 20 • Sunday @ 12:30pm, 4:30pm
May 22 • Tuesday @ 11:00am, 6:30pm
May 23 • Wednesday @ 11:00am, 6:30pm
May 24 • Thursday @ 11:00am, 6:30pm
May 25 • Friday @ 11:00am, 6:30pm
May 26 • Saturday @ 12:30pm, 4:30pm
May 27 • Sunday @ 12:30pm, 4:30pm
May 28 • Monday @ 12:30am, 4:30pm Memorial Day
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org. Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
- LAGUARDIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE at 31-10 Thomson Avenue Room C-339, Long Island City, NY 11101 is offering:
- EMT Basic: 6/18 to 8/16/07, Mondays, Tuesdays & Thursdays, 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
- EMT Basic: 5/14/07 to 8/16/07, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays, 6:00 to 9:30 PM.
Tuition: $790.00. Call (718) 482-5768 for info or application.
Funded (tuition free) seats are available for bona-fide members of volunteer services with NYS DOH Form 3312 Verification of Membership in a NYS EMS Agency signed by a squad officer.
- Paramedic: 9/5/07 to 8/15/08, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday evenings and every other Saturday. Tuition: $5,800.00. Financial Aid and payment plans accepted. Associate's Degree Program available. Call (718) 482-5237 for info.
CMEs & Seminars
- Tuesday June 5, 2007 - 6:00pm to 10:00pm
Fire Department of the City of New York, Office of Medical Affairs & EMS Operations Presents: Quarterly Continuing Medical Education
TOPIC: Issues In Cardiology
LOCATION: Downstate Medical Center, 450 Clarkson Avenue, Brooklyn, NY
RSVP: Christopher Swanson - email@example.com
The new American Heart Protocols (“2005 Protocols”) are out. As per orders from the NY State Dept of Health, all riding members must be updated to the new protocols by July 1, 2007.
Sign up sheets for classes will be in the dispatch area. The classes are free to members and associates.
Included in the 2005 Protocols are changes to the following:
Mark Your Calendars
- What constitutes an adult versus a child
- Hand position
- Changes to blind finger sweeps
- Compression sequence changes (30:2 versus 15:2)
- Infant CPR
- Procedures for witnessed arrest and drowning victims
- AED procedures
- Recovery position
- PULSE CHECK 2007, the 52nd Annual Educational Conference & Trade Show of the NYS Volunteer Ambulance & Rescue Association will be held Thursday 10/4/07 to Sunday morning 10/7/07 at the Hudson Valley Resort, Kerhonkson, Ulster County, NY - only 90 minutes from NYC. Event features seminars, exhibits, statewide EMT/CFR team skills drill and ambulance drill competitions, memorial service and awards dinner. Information will be available soon at www.nysvara.org on: conference registration, room reservations, preliminary list of seminars, Drill application, trophy donations, golf outing and Journal ads. There will also be information on the web site about nominations for the Association’s annual awards and scholarships. For more information, call (877) NYSVARA or e-mail pulsecheck@NYSVARA.org.