Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
November 2007 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish - info@JEVAC.org
1st Lieutenant: Edward F. Pearce
2nd Lieutenant: John-Paul Vasquez
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Midge Pearce
Personnel Officer: Celia Sporer
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
- Sunday 11/11/07 11:00AM Youth Squad Monthly Meeting
- Wednesday 11/28/07 7:45PM Board of Director’s Meeting
- Wednesday 11/28/07 8:15PM General Membership Meeting
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Edward Pearce: November
2nd Lt John-Paul Vasquez: December
Dispatchers are asked to contact the Duty Officer (Ed this month) at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
Building Fund Collections so far:
November 2006 72 Responses, yielding $ 2,522 in donations
General Fund Collections so far:
December 2006 386 Responses, yielding $ 8,537 in donations
January 2007 106 Responses, yielding $ 3,034 in donations
February 2007 17 Responses, yielding $ 310 in donations
March 2007 15 Responses, yielding $ 472 in donations
April 2007 8 Responses, yielding $ 355 in donations
TOTAL TO DATE BUILDING FUND DONATIONS: $15,230.
May 2007 121 Responses, yielding $ 6,121 in donations
June 2007 257 Responses, yielding $ 3,892 in donations
July 2007 67 Responses, yielding $ 1,744 in donations
August 2007 14 Responses, yielding $ 375 in donations
September 2007 8 Responses, yielding $ 201 in donations
October 2007 11 Responses, yielding $ 435 in donations
TOTAL TO DATE GENERAL FUND DONATIONS: $12,768.
The squad has received grant applications for the following:
New York State:
New York City:
- $5,000 Sponsored by State Senator Frank Padavan
- $2,000 Sponsored by State Assemblyman Mark Weprin
- $3,000 Sponsored by City Council Member David I. Weprin
- JAM-6: Fully operational.
- JAM-7: Fully operational.
Special Event Crews Needed
NONE THIS MONTH !!!
Special Events Covered
Sunday, October 21, 2007 "Making Strides Against Breast Cancer," a five-mile pledge walk held in Queens. The five-mile walk route started and ended at Queens Borough Hall on Queens Boulevard in Kew Gardens. In attendance were Lt. Ed Pearce, Lt. JP Vasquez, Jim Downey, Rocky Diaz, Raul Thomas, and Youth Squad members Devin Friedland, Manav Nanda, Marla Singh.
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org. Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
- ST Johns University Emergency Medical Service Institute
- Paramedic Original Class 3
Wednesdays & Fridays 9am to 5pm
Orientation 3/5/08, Course start date: 3/14/8 for the NYS EMT-P exam given on 3/19/09
LOCATION: Andrew Bartilucci Center, 175-05 Horace Harding Expy, Fresh Meadows, NY
Screening exams consisting of both written and verbal competency skills evaluation are now being conducted. For more info or to schedule screening exam, contact Frank Riboni, Director of EMS programs, 718-990-8416 or firstname.lastname@example.org
CMEs & Seminars
- Wednesday, Nov 7, 2007 at 5:00pm
ST Johns University Emergency Medical Service Institute presents:
TOPIC: “PROTOCAL UPDATE”
PRESENTER: Politi, MD
LOCATION: Andrew J. Bartilucci Center
175-05 Horace Harding Expressway
Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
- Wednesday, Nov 7, 2007 at 5:30pm
Long Island Jewish Medical Center – Department of Emergency Medicine presents:
TOPIC: “STROKE EDUCATION”
PRESENTER: Tom Kwiathowski, MD
LOCATION: LIJ Medical Center, 270-05 76th Avenue – New Emergency Dept Conference Room
Dinner is available for all attendees. RSVP is required o Allison Roditi @ 718-470-7419
- Tuesday, Dec 4, 2007 at 6:00pm
North Shore University Hospital a Manhasset is proud to present
TOPIC: “NEW CONCEPTS IN STROKE THERAPY”
PRESENTER: Jeffrey M. Katz, MD, Director Stroke Center
LOCATION: NSUH- Manhasset – 300 Community Drive - Rust Auditorium
Dinner and Free Parking is available for all attendees. RSVP is required o Joanne Turner, RN @ 516-562-1194
- Tuesday, Dec 18, 2007 at 7:00pm
The Regional Pediatric Trauma Center at Schneider Children’s Hospital is pleased to present:
TOPIC: “EMERGENT ASSESSMENT OF PEDIATRIC PATIENT”
PRESENTER: Joy Nadelberg MD, Chief, Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine
LOCATION: Saul and Evelyn Epstein Teaching Center, Ground Floor, LIJ Campus, 269-01 76 Avenue, New Hyde Park, NY 11040
Dinner and Free Parking is available for all attendees. RSVP is required by 12/11/07 at 718-470-4547 or email email@example.com
The new American Heart Protocols (“2005 Protocols”) are out. As per orders from the NY State Dept of Health, all riding members must be updated to the new protocols by July 1, 2007.
Sign up sheets for classes will be in the dispatch area. The classes are free to members and associates.
Included in the 2005 Protocols are changes to the following:
Mark Your Calendars
- What constitutes an adult versus a child
- Hand position
- Changes to blind finger sweeps
- Compression sequence changes (30:2 versus 15:2)
- Infant CPR
- Procedures for witnessed arrest and drowning victims
- AED procedures
- Recovery position
Good And Welfare
- January 26-27, 2008 – Long Island Buff Show at Nassau Coliseum
- March 25-28, 2008 – EMS Today Conference in Baltimore, MD
- Remember to check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Protect yourself and your family, get a FLU Shot!
- Every year for the last 5 years, a group of us have a Thanksgiving Dinner at the ambulance corps’ HQ. If you don’t have other plans for the holiday, you are welcome to join us. Please let me know at least a couple of days beforehand so I can make arrangements to have enough food.
- Have a great Thanksgiving everybody!