Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
January 2008 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish - info@JEVAC.org
1st Lieutenant: Edward F. Pearce
2nd Lieutenant: John-Paul Vasquez
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Midge Pearce
Personnel Officer: Celia Sporer
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
- Sunday 1/06/08 11:00AM Youth Squad Monthly Meeting
- Wednesday 1/16/08 7:45PM Board of Director’s Meeting
- Wednesday 1/16/08 8:15PM General Membership Meeting
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Edward Pearce: January, March, May, July, September, November
2nd Lt John-Paul Vasquez: February, April, June, August, October, December
Dispatchers are asked to contact the Duty Officer (Ed this month) at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
Building Fund Collections so far:
December 2007 345 Responses, yielding $ 8005.00 in donations
General Fund Collections so far:
TOTAL TO DATE BUILDING FUND DONATIONS: $8005.00.
May 2007 168 Responses, yielding $ 6,121 in donations
June 2007 257 Responses, yielding $ 3,892 in donations
July 2007 67 Responses, yielding $ 1,744 in donations
August 2007 14 Responses, yielding $ 375 in donations
September 2007 8 Responses, yielding $ 201 in donations
October 2007 11 Responses, yielding $ 435 in donations
November 2007 8 Responses, yielding $ 158 in donations
TOTAL TO DATE GENERAL FUND DONATIONS: $12,926.
The squad has received grant applications for the following:
New York State:
New York City:
- $5,000 Sponsored by State Senator Frank Padavan
- $2,000 Sponsored by State Assemblyman Mark Weprin
- $3,000 Sponsored by City Council Member David I. Weprin
- JAM-6: Fully operational.
- JAM-7: Having Backup camera installed.
Special Event Crews Needed
NONE THIS MONTH !!!
Special Events Covered Last Month
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org. Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
- Laguardia Community College at 31-10 Thomson Avenue Room C-339, Long Island City, NY 11101 is offering:
Tuition: $804.00. Call Christine Alvarez (718) 482-5768 for info or application.
- EMT Basic: 2/5 to 5/15, Tuesdays & Thursdays, 9:30am to 4:30pm.
- EMT Basic: 1/22 to 5/15, Mondays, Tuesdays, & Wednesdays, 6:00 to 9:30 PM.
- NY Methodist Hospital center for Allied health Education
Paramedic Original course
Tuesday & Thursday 9am to 5pm
Course start date: January 2008 for the NYS EMT-P exam given in December 2008
LOCATION:St Barnabas Hospital, Union Community health cener, 260 East 188 Street, Bronx, NY
Screening exams consisting of both written and verbal competency skills evaluation are now being conducted. For more info or to schedule screening exam, contact 718-645-3500
- ST Johns University Emergency Medical Service Institute
Paramedic Original Class 3
Wednesdays & Fridays 9am to 5pm
Orientation 3/5/08, Course start date: 3/14/8 for the NYS EMT-P exam given on 3/19/09
LOCATION: Andrew Bartilucci Center, 175-05 Horace Harding Expy, Fresh Meadows, NY
Screening exams consisting of both written and verbal competency skills evaluation are now being conducted. For more info or to schedule screening exam, contact Frank Riboni, Director of EMS programs, 718-990-8416 or email@example.com
CMEs & Seminars
- Monday, January 7, 2008 7:30 PM to 10 PM
FLATLANDS VOLUNTEER AMBULANCE CORPS PRESENTS
A NYC REMSCO APPROVED CME SEMINAR ON
2008 ALS & BLS PROTOCOL UPDATES
Presenter: Fred P. Wilken, FVAC Training Center Director
Kings Plaza Shopping Mall Community Room; Flatbush Avenue and Avenue U
Free parking—entrance under movie theatre sign
Seminar located on first floor adjacent to parking area
Light refreshments will be served
RSVP BY January 2, 2008 to Fred P. Wilken At Training Center@Fvac.Org or
David Moskowitz At Webmaster@Fvac.Org
- Wednesday, January 9, 2008 5:00 PM
St. John’s University EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICE INSTITUTE
Continuing Medical Education Presents:
2008 REMSCO PROTOCOL UPDATE & STEMI
Presented by: Dr. Victor Politi, Medical Director
Location: Dr. Andrew J. Bartilucci Center, 175-05 Horace Harding Expressway
Fresh Meadows, New York 11365, 1st Floor Classroom
All Emergency Responders are Welcome
For Further Information Please Contact: Cathy Cotroneo, Administrative Assistant, EMS Institute (718) 990-8436 firstname.lastname@example.org OR Chris Calcagni, NREMT-P Associate Director, EMS Institute email@example.com
- February 16 and 23, 2008
North Shore LIJ Cener for Emergency Services presents:
TOPIC: Pediatric Education for Pre Hospital Professionals (PEPP)
LOCAION: NSUH Center for Emergency Medical Services, 15 Burke Lane, Syosset,NY
COST: $135, includes course and training materials
RSVP and Questions, Contact Susan Bouse 516-719-5065
The new American Heart Protocols (“2005 Protocols”) are out. As per orders from the NY State Dept of Health, all riding members must be updated to the new protocols by July 1, 2007.
Sign up sheets for classes will be in the dispatch area. The classes are free to members and associates.
Included in the 2005 Protocols are changes to the following:
Mark Your Calendars
- What constitutes an adult versus a child
- Hand position
- Changes to blind finger sweeps
- Compression sequence changes (30:2 versus 15:2)
- Infant CPR
- Procedures for witnessed arrest and drowning victims
- AED procedures
- Recovery position
Good and Welfare
- January 26-27, 2008 – Long Island Buff Show at Nassau Coliseum
- March 25-28, 2008 – EMS Today Conference in Baltimore, MD
- March 30, 2008 1:00pm to 5:00pm – JEVAC Holiday Party – invites to follow
We mourn the passing of:
Aldo Grillo, father of Marin L. Grillo
Seymour Hubscher, stepfather of Alan Kipnis
- Remember to check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Protect yourself and your family, get a FLU Shot!