Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
March 2008 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish - info@JEVAC.org
1st Lieutenant: Edward F. Pearce
2nd Lieutenant: John-Paul Vasquez
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Midge Pearce
Personnel Officer: Celia Sporer
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
- Sunday 3/01/08 11:00AM Youth Squad Monthly Meeting
- Wednesday 3/19/08 7:45PM Board of Director’s Meeting
- Wednesday 3/19/08 8:15PM General Membership Meeting
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Edward Pearce: March, May, July, September, November
2nd Lt John-Paul Vasquez: April, June, August, October, December
Dispatchers are asked to contact the Duty Officer (Ed this month) at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
Building Fund Collections so far:
December 2007 345 Responses, yielding $ 8,005.00 in donations
General Fund Collections so far:
January 2008 176 Responses, yielding $ 5,299.00 in donations
February 2008 35 Responses, yielding $ 985.00 in donations
TOTAL TO DATE BUILDING FUND DONATIONS: $14,289.00.
May 2007 168 Responses, yielding $ 6,121 in donations
June 2007 257 Responses, yielding $ 3,892 in donations
July 2007 67 Responses, yielding $ 1,744 in donations
August 2007 14 Responses, yielding $ 375 in donations
September 2007 8 Responses, yielding $ 201 in donations
October 2007 11 Responses, yielding $ 435 in donations
November 2007 8 Responses, yielding $ 158 in donations
TOTAL TO DATE GENERAL FUND DONATIONS: $12,926.
The squad has received grant applications for the following:
New York State:
New York City:
- $5,000 Sponsored by State Senator Frank Padavan
- $2,000 Sponsored by State Assemblyman Mark Weprin
- $3,000 Sponsored by City Council Member David I. Weprin - Received
- JAM-6: Fully operational.
- JAM-7: Fully operational.
Special Event Crews Needed
Friday, March 7, 7pm to 11pm; New Legend Boxing presents boxing matches at Amazurra Social Club, sponsored by the NY Daily news. At least 2 EMTs will be needed for the standby.
Special Events Covered Last Month
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org. Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
- NY Methodist Hospital Center for Allied Health Education
Paramedic Original course
Tuesday & Thursday 9am to 5pm
Orientation 3/5/08, Course start date: January 2008 for the NYS EMT-P exam given in December 2008
LOCATION:St Barnabas Hospital, Union Community health cener, 260 East 188 Street, Bronx, NY
Screening exams consisting of both written and verbal competency skills evaluation are now being conducted. For more info or to schedule screening exam, contact 718-645-3500
- ST Johns University Emergency Medical Service Institute
Paramedic Original Class 3
Wednesdays & Fridays 9am to 5pm
Orientation 3/5/08, Course start date: 3/14/8 for the NYS EMT-P exam given on 3/19/09
LOCATION: Andrew Bartilucci Center, 175-05 Horace Harding Expy, Fresh Meadows, NY
Screening exams consisting of both written and verbal competency skills evaluation are now being conducted. For more info or to schedule screening exam, contact Frank Riboni, Director of EMS programs, 718-990-8416 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- LaGuardia Community College CUNY -Emergency Medical Service Institute
Paramedic Refresher class
March 28th, 2008 – June 19th, 2008 - Fridays 9:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Course start date: 3/28/8 for the NYS EMT-P exam to be given on 6/19/08
LOCATION: LaGuardia Community College; 31-10 Thomson Avenue, Room C339;
Long Island City, New York 11101
Tuition: $752.00 Fully completed NYS DOH Verification of Membership in a NYS EMS Agency form (DOH-3312) accepted in lieu of tuition. Student must be actively participating in an NYS DOH recognized EMS agency to take advantage
of this offer.
Return application to: Jeffrey Spencer @ LaGuardia Community College
31-10 Thomson Avenue, Room C339; Long Island City, New York 11101
Further Information: Please call (718) 482-5768 or email email@example.com
Application Deadline: March 21, 2008
CMEs & Seminars
- Thursdays, April 10 and April 17, 2007; 4:00pm to 9:00pm
Nyack Hospital is pleased to announce a Basic Disaster Life Support Certification course at Nyack Hospital in the Krutz Auditorium.
Target Audience: Physicians, PA's, Nurses, NP's, Paramedics and EMT's. The course is free and dinner/refreshments will be served. Also includes an AMA textbook, official AMA completion card & 7.5 American Medical Association PRA Category 1 Credits, 7.5 NYSNA CEU's and 7.5 HVREMSCO CME.
Please register at: http://tinyurl.com/2vo9y8 or 212-342-4171
Questions, contact Walter Dusseldorp, Safety Officer; Nyack Hospital,
160 N. Midland Ave, Nyack NY 10960 (845) 348-3061 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The new American Heart Protocols (“2005 Protocols”) are out. As per orders from the NY State Dept of Health, all riding members must be updated to the new protocols by July 1, 2007.
Sign up sheets for classes will be in the dispatch area. The classes are free to members and associates.
Included in the 2005 Protocols are changes to the following:
Mark Your Calendars
- What constitutes an adult versus a child
- Hand position
- Changes to blind finger sweeps
- Compression sequence changes (30:2 versus 15:2)
- Infant CPR
- Procedures for witnessed arrest and drowning victims
- AED procedures
- Recovery position
Good and Welfare
- Monday, March 3, 2008 – New York State Volunteer Ambulance & Rescue Association Annual Legislative Day will be held at the Legislative Office Building in Albany, NY. For more information or to advise of your interest in participating contact: email@example.com
- Tuesday March 18, 4pm to 7pm, LaGuardia Community College sponsors annual EMT/Paramedic career Day, to be held at 29-10 Thompson Avenue, 2nd Floor Lobby in LIC, NY.
- March 25-28, 2008 – EMS Today Conference in Baltimore, MD
- Sunday, March 30, 2008; 1:00pm to 5:00pm – JEVAC 35th Anniversary Party at Antun’s of Queens Village. Be sure to RSVP, if you have not done so already.
- Tuesday, May 13, 2008, New York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association, New York City Region, Districts 4 & 18 present their 2008 EMS Week Recognition Dinner at Russo’s on the Bay in Howard Beach, N.Y.
- James Chin passed his EMT-B Original course.