Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
September 2008 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish - info@JEVAC.org
1st Lieutenant: Edward F. Pearce
2nd Lieutenant: John-Paul Vasquez
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Midge Pearce
Personnel Officer: (Vacant)
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
- Sunday 9/07/08 11:00AM Youth Squad Monthly Meeting
- Wednesday 9/17/08 7:45PM Board of Director’s Meeting
- Wednesday 9/17/08 8:15PM General Membership Meeting
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Edward Pearce: September, November
2nd Lt John-Paul Vasquez: October, December
Dispatchers are asked to contact the Duty Officer (Ed this month) at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
General Fund Collections so far:
May 2008 5 Responses, yielding $ 436.00 in donations
June 2008 235 Responses, yielding $ 8,569.00 in donations
July 2008 197 Responses, yielding $ 3,832.00 in donations
August 2008 18 Responses, yielding $ 810.00 in donations
TOTAL TO DATE BUILDING FUND DONATIONS: $13,647.00.
The squad has applied and for the following grants for 2009:
New York State:
New York City:
- $5,000 Sponsored by State Senator Frank Padavan
- $2,000 Sponsored by State Senator Toby Stavisky
- $2,000 Sponsored by State Assemblyman Mark Weprin
- $3,000 Sponsored by City Council Member David I. Weprin
- JAM-6: Fully operational.
- JAM-7: Fully operational. ON Aug 16, Jam#7 was involved in a minor MVA where the push-bar bumper was torn off by a passing vehicle that left the scene of the accident. There were no injuries and JAM#7 was not removed from service. A replacement push-bar has been ordered.
Special Event Crews Needed
Special Events Covered Last Month
- August 31, Annual Bell Park Gardens Street Fair. JAM#6, JAM#7 and Car 2 were utilized in this event. Present were Rocky Diaz, Brandon King, Antonio Costa, Youth Corps members Manav Nanda, Sandre Cheng, Brett Druss, William Mont, Justin Williams. Also present were Lieutenants Ed Pearce and John-Paul Vasquez, and Captain Mazlish. There were no incidents reported that required medical attention.
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org. Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
- North Shore / LIJ Health System Training Center presents:
Emergency Medical Technician Basic Original
START DATE: Wed, September 3rd, 2008 (Written and Practical Challenge)
Course scheduled for Mondays & Wednesdays 7-10 PM
For the N.Y. State Written Exam to be held on 03/19/09
Cost: $400.00 not including books (State funding applied for)
Location: NSLIJ Center for Learning; 1979 Marcus Ave Suite E130; Lake Success, NY
Instructor: Jim Roth, NREMT-P
To Apply BY MAIL: North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System Center for Learning and Innovation; 1979 Marcus Ave Suite E130; Lake Success, NY 11791
BY PHONE: (516) 396-6150 or ON THE WEB: www.northshorelij.com\CLI
- LaGuardia Community College – Center for Continuing Education
Emergency Medical Technician Basic Course
Evening Class: September 9th, 2008 – January 15th, 2009
Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays - 6:00 PM - 9:30 PM
Day Class: September 16th, 2008 – December 18th, 2008
Tuesdays and Thursdays - 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM
(Tuition Fee: $780.00 and Registration Fee: $15.00 payable at time of registration)
Return application to: LaGuardia Community College
Attn.: Christine Alvarez
31-10 Thomson Avenue, Room C-339; Long Island City, New York 11101
Further Information: Please call (718) 482-5768
Application Form Deadlines: Evening class: August 25th; Day class: August 29th, 2008
- Flatlands Volunteer Ambulance Corps Training Center presents
Emergency Medical Technician CHALLENGE REFRESHER
START DATE: September 28th, 2008 (Written and Practical Challenge)
Course scheduled for Sundays 8 AM to 4 PM - Approx. 68 class Hrs
For the N.Y. State Written Exam to be held on 12/18/08
Cost: $400.00 not including books (State funding applied for)
Due to Limited Seating Pre-registration and a $50.00 non refundable deposit is required.
Mail Deposit To: Fred P. Wilken Training Center Flatlands Volunteer Ambulance Corps 4623 Avenue N., Brooklyn, New York 11234. Make Checks Payable To The Flatlands Volunteer Ambulance Corps. For More Information Contact Fred Wilken 718-531-1585
CMEs & Seminars
- Wednesday, September 10, 2008 at 7pm
Winthrop University Hospital Dept of Emergency Medicine presents:
Topic: Oh My Aching Head-Updates on Traumatic Brain Injury
Speaker: Lee Tessler, MD
Location: Community Outreach Center – Mineola Avenue
Dinner will be served + Gifts & Raffle; CME credits available
RSVP: by Sept. 5 to Judy Jax (516) 663-8708 or email@example.com
The new American Heart Protocols (“2005 Protocols”) are out. As per orders from the NY State Dept of Health, all riding members must be updated to the new protocols by July 1, 2007.
Sign up sheets for classes will be in the dispatch area. The classes are free to members and associates.
Included in the 2005 Protocols are changes to the following:
- What constitutes an adult versus a child
- Hand position
- Changes to blind finger sweeps
- Compression sequence changes (30:2 versus 15:2)
- Infant CPR
- Procedures for witnessed arrest and drowning victims
- AED procedures
- Recovery position
Important Message About Hurricaine Season From NYC's OEM
Although hurricanes are uncommon in New York City, they are most likely to occur between August and October. Experts predict an active hurricane season in 2008 with 15 named storms. Hurricane Dolly, the fourth named storm of the season, formed more than a month earlier than 2007's fourth named storm.
New York City's densely populated coastlines and complex infrastructure make it the second most vulnerable U.S. city to hurricane damage. Do you have a plan if a hurricane hits? Start by using OEM's Hurricane Zone Finder to determine if you live in a hurricane evacuation zone.
Buy All Your Supplies At One Time
It's time for school again and as parents and kids shop for supplies, OEM reminds New Yorkers to pick up some emergency supplies, like extra batteries for radios and flashlights. Also, old backpacks make great Go Bags. Visit OEM's website to find out how to pack them for an emergency.
Mark Your Calendars
- Wednesday September 10, 2008 – 8:30am ~ 4:30pm
New York Downtown Hospital – 6th Annual Emergency Preparedness Symposium @ the Goldman Sachs Conference Center; 32 Old Slip, Lower Manhattan, NY. For more information or to make a reservation, contact Ms. Mendez Josephs by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thursday September 18, 2008 to Sunday September 21, 2008
PULSE CHECK 2008, the 53rd Annual Educational Conference & Trade Show of the NYS Volunteer Ambulance & Rescue Association will be held at the Hudson Valley Resort, Kerhonkson, Ulster County, NY. The event features seminars, exhibits, statewide EMT/CFR team skills drill and ambulance drill competitions, memorial service and awards dinner. Information will be posted on the Association’s web site at www.nysvara.org. If more information is needed call (877) NYSVARA or e-mail pulsecheck@NYSVARA.org
- Thursday October 2 to Sunday October 5, 2008
NYS Dept of Health presents the annual Vital Signs Conference at the Buffalo
Niagara Convention Center, Buffalo, NY
For General Information Contact: Donna Gerard, Conference Coordinator at (518) 402-0996 Ext. 3