Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
November 2008 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish - info@JEVAC.org
1st Lieutenant: Edward F. Pearce
2nd Lieutenant: John-Paul Vasquez
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: (Vacant)
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Midge Pearce
Personnel Officer: Joseph Bodnar
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
- Sunday 11/02/08 11:00AM Youth Squad Monthly Meeting
- Wednesday 11/19/08 7:45PM Board of Director’s Meeting
- Wednesday 11/19/08 8:15PM General Membership Meeting
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Edward Pearce: November
2nd Lt John-Paul Vasquez: December
Dispatchers are asked to contact the Duty Officer (Ed this month) at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
General Fund Collections so far:
May 2008 5 Responses, yielding $ 436.00 in donations
June 2008 235 Responses, yielding $ 8,569.00 in donations
July 2008 197 Responses, yielding $ 3,832.00 in donations
August 2008 18 Responses, yielding $ 810.00 in donations
September 2008 18 Responses, yielding $ 390.00 in donations
October 2008 8 Responses, yielding $ 730.00 in donations
TOTAL TO DATE BUILDING FUND DONATIONS: $14,767.00.
The squad has applied and for the following grants for 2009:
New York State:
New York City:
- $5,000 Sponsored by State Senator Frank Padavan
- $2,000 Sponsored by State Senator Toby Stavisky
- $2,000 Sponsored by State Assemblyman Mark Weprin
- $3,000 Sponsored by City Council Member David I. Weprin
- JAM-6: Fully operational.
- JAM-7: Fully operational.
Special Event Crews Needed
Special Events Covered Last Month
- Saturday October 4, 2008 – TAE KWON DO Competition at Queens College Fitzgerald Gymnasium. Covered by Mourtaz Mourtazliev, James Chin, Victor Chow, Manav Nanda and Captain Mazlish
- Sunday October 19, 2008 – American Cancer Society Annual Breast Cancer Walk. Present at the event were James Downey, Sara Downey, Joe Bodnar, Rocky Diaz, Chris Kass, Jennifer Konigsberg, Midge Pearce, Helen Surianti, Daniel Tyroler, Youth Squad Members Adana Atkinson, Timothy Downey, Victoria Chee, Brett Druss, Niriana Mendoza, Megan McCaffrey, Malcolm McDaniel, William Mont, Manav Nanda and Justin Williams. Also present were Lieutenants Ed Pearce, JP Vasquez and Captain Mazlish. Also, we raised a total of $1,405 for the American Cancer Society. See the photos of the event on our website!
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org. Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
CMEs & Seminars
- Tuesday, November 11, 2008; 7:00PM
North Shore University Hospital; Department of Surgery, Division of Trauma;
Invites EMS Providers to a Dinner Presentation
TOPIC: “Upper Extremity Trauma”
PRESENTER: David Tuckman, MD
LOCATION: North Shore University Hospital @ Manhasset
The Rust Auditorium; 300 Community Drive; Manhasset, NY 11030
Educational certificates will be awarded
RSVP: Ellen Redican (ERedican@nshs.edu)
- Thursday November 13, 2008; 9AM-5PM
Location: MMC-EMS Training Center; 1036 38th Street, Brooklyn , New York
For Information call (718)-283-1360 or
* EZ-IO Bone Gun Drill In-service
* 2009 REMAC Protocol Update
* 2008 NYS-Spinal Trauma Update
PRESENTER: David Lobel, M.D., FACEP; MMC-EMS Medical Director
* Pediatric Medical Emergencies
PRESENTER: Estevan Garcia, M.D., MPA, FAAP; MMC- Dir. of Pediatric Emergency Medicine
* Cardiac Emergencies and Cath-Lab Operations
PRESENTER: Norbert Moskovitz. M.D.; MMC-Dir. of Heart Failure Program
Lunch will be served; Open to all EMT’s and Paramedics
- December 6 and 7th; 7:15am to 4:00pm
Fourth Annual Trauma Conference
LOCATION: Nyack Hospital; Krutz Auditorium
Early Registration is encouraged, as space is limited. Fees include syllabus, continental breakfast, Lunch, Snacks and daily hand-outs.
FEES: EMT $ 10/day; Paramedics $ 25/day
Registration and fees must be received no later than December 1, 2008.
Make Checks payable to: Nyack Hospital Foundation.
For additional information call:
Walter Dusseldorp NREMT-P Safety Officer Nyack Hospital 160 N. Midland Ave Nyack NY 10960 (845) 348-3061
The new American Heart Protocols (“2005 Protocols”) are out. As per orders from the NY State Dept of Health, all riding members must be updated to the new protocols by July 1, 2007.
Sign up sheets for classes will be in the dispatch area. The classes are free to members and associates.
Included in the 2005 Protocols are changes to the following:
- What constitutes an adult versus a child
- Hand position
- Changes to blind finger sweeps
- Compression sequence changes (30:2 versus 15:2)
- Infant CPR
- Procedures for witnessed arrest and drowning victims
- AED procedures
- Recovery position
Mark Your Calendars
- Joseph Bodnar has been appointed as the new Personnel Officer until the elections next month.