Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
February 2009 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish - info@JEVAC.org
1st Lieutenant: Edward F. Pearce
2nd Lieutenant: John-Paul Vasquez
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: Sara Downey
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Midge Pearce
Personnel Officer: Joseph Bodnar
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
- Sunday 2/01/09 11:00AM Youth Squad Monthly Meeting
- Wednesday 2/18/09 7:45PM Board of Director’s Meeting
- Wednesday 2/18/09 8:15PM General Membership Meeting
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Edward Pearce: January, March, May, July, September, November
2nd Lt John-Paul Vasquez: February, April, June, August, October, December
Dispatchers are asked to contact the Duty Officer (JP this month) at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
General Fund Collections so far:
May 2008 5 Responses, yielding $ 436.00 in donations
Building Fund Collections so far:
June 2008 235 Responses, yielding $ 8,569.00 in donations
July 2008 197 Responses, yielding $ 3,832.00 in donations
August 2008 18 Responses, yielding $ 810.00 in donations
September 2008 18 Responses, yielding $ 390.00 in donations
October 2008 8 Responses, yielding $ 730.00 in donations
November 2008 16 Responses, yielding $ 570.00 in donations
TOTAL TO DATE GENERAL FUND DONATIONS: $15,337.00.
December 2008 374 Responses, yielding $ 9,610.00 in donations
January 2009 62 Responses, yielding $ 2,165.00 in donations
TOTAL TO DATE BUILDING FUND DONATIONS: $11,775.00.
The squad has applied and for the following grants for 2009:
New York State:
New York City:
- $5,000 Sponsored by State Senator Frank Padavan
- $2,000 Sponsored by State Senator Toby Stavisky
- $2,000 Sponsored by State Assemblyman Mark Weprin
- $3,000 Sponsored by City Council Member David I. Weprin
- JAM-6: Fully operational.
- JAM-7: Fully operational.
Special Event Crews Needed
- Tuesday, March 3, 2009, 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Daily News Boxing Show at Club Amazura.
- Saturday, April 18, 2009 10:00 am to 1:00 pm
Girl Scouts - Earth Day 2009 at Cunningham Park.
Special Events Covered Last Month
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org. Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
CMEs & Seminars
- February 20, 2009: 5:30pm to 9:30pm
Roadside to Bedside - Cardiac Emergencies and Regional Cardiac Care: at the Maria Fareri Childrens Hospital at Westchester Medical Center. Register at 914-493-8892.
The new American Heart Protocols (“2005 Protocols”) are out. As per orders from the NY State Dept of Health, all riding members must be updated to the new protocols.
Sign up sheets for classes will be in the dispatch area. The classes are free to members and associates.
Included in the Protocol Updates are changes to the following:
- What constitutes an adult versus a child
- Hand position
- Changes to blind finger sweeps
- Compression sequence changes (30:2 versus 15:2)
- Infant CPR
- Procedures for witnessed arrest and drowning victims
- AED procedures
- Recovery position
Mark Your Calendars
- April 18, 2009: 2nd Annual Greater Westchester EMS Conference at the Royal Regency Hotel, Yonkers, NY
For info: 914-798-9797 or email to: email@example.com
- The following members have successfully passed their DOH Exams as follows:
Antonio Costa: EMT
Md Hasan: EMT
Brandon King: EMT
Victoria Chee: CFR
Brett Druss: CFR
Justin Williams: CFR