Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
August 2009 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish - info@JEVAC.org
1st Lieutenant: Edward F. Pearce
2nd Lieutenant: John-Paul Vasquez
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: Sara Downey
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Midge Pearce
Personnel Officer: Joseph Bodnar
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
- Sunday 8/02/09 11:00AM Youth Squad Monthly Meeting
- Wednesday 9/16/09 7:45PM Board of Director’s Meeting
- Wednesday 9/16/09 8:15PM General Membership Meeting
NO BOARD OR GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING IN AUGUST
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Edward Pearce: September, November
2nd Lt John-Paul Vasquez: August, October, December
Dispatchers are asked to contact the Duty Officer (JP this month) at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
Department of Health Audit Is In September
If you have not turned in your updated Medical Clearance form, you will not be able to participate in ANY squad activities after August 31.
Building Fund Collections so far:
December 2008 374 Responses, yielding $ 9,610.00 in donations
General Fund collections so far:
January 2009 62 Responses, yielding $ 2,165.00 in donations
February 2009 26 Responses, yielding $ 552.00 in donations
March 2009 17 Responses, yielding $ 443.00 in donations
April 2009 3 Responses, yielding $ 175.00 in donations
May 2009 6 Responses, yielding $ 199.00 in donations
TOTAL TO DATE BUILDING FUND DONATIONS: $13,144.00
June 2009 7 Responses, yielding $ 450.00 in donations
July 2009 216 Responses, yielding $ 6085.00 in donations
TOTAL TO DATE BUILDING FUND DONATIONS: $6,535.00
The squad has applied and for the following grants for 2009:
New York State:
New York City:
- $5,000 Sponsored by State Senator Frank Padavan ***Received***
- $2,000 Sponsored by State Senator Toby Stavisky ***Received***
- $2,000 Sponsored by State Assemblyman Mark Weprin ***PENDING***
- $3,000 Sponsored by City Council Member David I. Weprin ***Received***
The squad has applied and for the following grants for 2010:
New York State:
- $41,000 Department of Homeland Security – Assistance to Firefighters Grant
To be used to purchase turnout gear and boots.
New York City
- $5,000 Sponsored by NY State Senator Frank Padavan
- $3,000 Sponsored by NY State Senator Toby Stavisky ***INCREASED***
- $2,000 Sponsored by NY State Assemblyman Mark Weprin
- $2,000 Sponsored by NY State Assemblyman Rory Lancman
- $3,000 Sponsored by NY City Council Member David I. Weprin
- $3,000 Sponsored by NY City Council Member James Genarro
- JAM-6: Fully operational.
- JAM-7: Fully operational. New brakes.
Special Event Crews Needed
NONE AT THIS TIME
Special Events Covered Last Month
- Wednesday, July 29, 2009 – Queens Symphony Orchestra at St Johns University
Assisting at the standby were Antonio Costa, James Chin, Justin Williams, James Downey, Sara Downey, Helen Surianti, Shiyam Satkunasingham and Captain Mazlish.
For a complete listing of upcoming basic and refresher EMT and CFR courses in the city please call the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC at (212) 870-2301 or check their web site at www.nycremsco.org. Information on Red Cross CPR courses is available by calling (800) 514-5103.
CMEs & Seminars
- September 24, Thursday, 2009 8am ~ 4pm
Weapons of Mass Destruction Awareness & Incident Response to Terrorist Bombings
There is no cost for this course.
BY PHONE: (516) 719-5043
BY EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
ON THE WEB: www.northshorelij.com
- October 13-16, 2009 8am ~ 4pm
Free courses offer by NS-LIJ
Intermediate ICS for Expanding Incidents ICS-300
Advanced ICS, Complex Incidents ICS-400
Last class held was on July 26.
The new American Heart Protocols (“2005 Protocols”) are out. As per orders from the NY State Dept of Health, all riding members must be updated to the new protocols.
Sign up sheets for classes will be in the dispatch area. The classes are free to members and associates.
Included in the Protocol Updates are changes to the following:
- What constitutes an adult versus a child
- Hand position
- Changes to blind finger sweeps
- Compression sequence changes (30:2 versus 15:2)
- Infant CPR
- Procedures for witnessed arrest and drowning victims
- AED procedures
- Recovery position
Mark Your Calendars