Jamaica Estates - Holliswood - South Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
October 2009 Monthly Newsletter
Captain: Daryl Mazlish - info@JEVAC.org
1st Lieutenant: Edward F. Pearce
2nd Lieutenant: John-Paul Vasquez
Treasurer: Jennifer Konigsberg
Financial Secretary: Sara Downey
Recording Secretary: Margaret Martens
Corresponding Secretary: Midge Pearce
Personnel Officer: Joseph Bodnar
Equipment & Supply: Daniel Tyroler
- Sunday 10/4/09 11:00AM Youth Squad Monthly Meeting
- Wednesday 10/21/09 7:45PM Board of Director’s Meeting
- Wednesday 10/21/09 8:15PM General Membership Meeting
Duty Officer Rotations
1st Lt. Edward Pearce: November
2nd Lt John-Paul Vasquez: October, December
Dispatchers are asked to contact the Duty Officer (Ed this month) at the beginning of shift to confirm that the squad is in operation.
- Check out sheets for the ambulance and equipment are to be completed at the beginning of each shift.
- Please empty the trash from the ambulance at the end of each shift.
Department of Health Audit Is In October
If you have not turned in your updated Medical Clearance form, you will not be able to participate in ANY squad activities.
General Fund collections so far:
June 2009 7 Responses, yielding $ 450.00 in donations
July 2009 216 Responses, yielding $ 6,085.00 in donations
August 2009 140 Responses, yielding $ 3,938.00 in donations
September 2009 79 Responses, yielding $ 2,286.00 in donations
TOTAL TO DATE GENERAL FUND DONATIONS: $12,759.00
The squad has applied and for the following grants for 2010:
New York State:
- $41,000 Department of Homeland Security – Assistance to Firefighters Grant
To be used to purchase turnout gear and boots.
New York City
- $5,000 Sponsored by NY State Senator Frank Padavan
- $3,000 Sponsored by NY State Senator Toby Stavisky ***INCREASED***
- $2,000 Sponsored by NY State Assemblyman Mark Weprin
- $2,000 Sponsored by NY State Assemblyman Rory Lancman ***ON HOLD***
- $3,000 Sponsored by NY City Council Member David I. Weprin
- $3,000 Sponsored by NY City Council Member James Genarro
- JAM-6: Fully operational. New alternator, new shocks and ball joints & bushings.
- JAM-7: Fully operational.
Special Event Crews Needed
- Sunday October 18, 9:00am to 1:30pm – American Cancer Society Annual Breast Cancer Walk on Queens Blvd, starts at Queens Town Hall and proceeds north to 63rd Drive and then returns to the starting point. Two ambulance crews will be needed for the standby as well as marchers for the team.
Special Events Covered Last Month
NONE AT THIS TIME
- EMT – BASIC REFRESHER PROGRAM
NEW YORK HOSPITAL QUEENS, Department of PREHOSPITAL CARE, DIVISION OF TRAINING - 163-15 46 Avenue, Flushing N.Y. 11358
Challenge and Traditional Format Option
EVALUATION DATES: September 30, 2009 5:00pm-8:00pm (written)
CLASS DATES: October 12, 2009 Through March 18, 2010 (Date of State Exam)
(Monday & Wednesday Evenings) 6:00pm-10:00pm
TUITION: $ 400.00 (to be paid in full at registration. Certified Check, Cash or Money Order only.)
If you have any questions, call 718 670-1010
Registration Date: September 30, 2009 at 5:00pm at 163-15 46 Avenue, Flushing N.Y.
NYS Voucher accepted
CMEs & Seminars
- October 13-16, 2009 8am ~ 4pm
Free courses offer by NS-LIJ
Intermediate ICS for Expanding Incidents ICS-300
Advanced ICS, Complex Incidents ICS-400
Last class held was on July 26.
The new American Heart Protocols (“2005 Protocols”) are out. As per orders from the NY State Dept of Health, all riding members must be updated to the new protocols.
Sign up sheets for classes will be in the dispatch area. The classes are free to members and associates.
Included in the Protocol Updates are changes to the following:
- What constitutes an adult versus a child
- Hand position
- Changes to blind finger sweeps
- Compression sequence changes (30:2 versus 15:2)
- Infant CPR
- Procedures for witnessed arrest and drowning victims
- AED procedures
- Recovery position
Mark Your Calendars
- October 1 – 4, 2009: Pulse Check - PULSE CHECK 2009, Full information at www.nysvara.org. Click on the PULSE CHECK logo.
- October 15 – 18, 2009: “Vital Signs 2009” in Rochester, NY. Check out website at www.vitalsignsconference.com for details on the EMS conference.
Important Information Regarding Flu Season
City Announces Strategy for Protecting New Yorkers During the Upcoming Flu Season
City Prepares to Keep Schools Open, Provide Treatment, Make Free Flu Mist and Flu Shots Available to All Elementary School Students in Schools, Provide Public with Current Flu Data
For the upcoming flu season, the City has established a strategy for protecting New Yorkers. It will include:
These recommendations are the result of the work performed by 15 interagency working groups that have been meeting throughout the summer.
- Offering free flu mist and flu shots for H1N1 to elementary school students whose parents want them to receive it;
- Encouraging New Yorkers to protect themselves and their loved ones by getting flu shots or flu mist for H1N1 and seasonal flu;
- Helping people with influenza-like illness manage their symptoms and find care;
- Working with hospitals to ensure the availability of expanded emergency room capacity if it is needed; and
- Designating primary-care clinics as “flu centers” that can give flu shots, information and outpatient care.